+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Astronomy or Physics Masters

KajalT

Sep 22, 2019
Hello all,

Can anybody help me know whether I can get into Astronomy Masters programs with a Mechanical Engineering Bachelors degree, and with a low GPA score? My profile is as follows:

10th Grade: 82%
12th Grade: 59%
BE in Mechanical engg: 6.01/ 10 overall
IELTS: ( yet to be given)

Internships: Engineering Trainee (Indian Railways)
Piping design engg (Reliance)

Work experience: Content prep study-answer expert (Physics) at study.com since March 2019.

No. of papers published: 01

Certificate of PGD in Piping design engg.

And of course a few extra curricular activities like participating in workshops, alumni meet organisations and so on!

With the above profile, can I get into an astronomy program?
Do international students get an opportunity to work in astronomy field in Canada after completing masters?

Can you tell me the universities i can get into easily, with my low GPA and a number of backlogs?
Some of the universities I came across are UBC, York University, Western University, McMaster University, Victoria University, Manitoba University.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There seems to be some disconnect between your bachelors and the masters course you want to take. Your work experience is also unrelated to astronomy. Aeronautical eng or a bsc in physics/astronomy would make more sense. If you were a domestic student tou certainly wouldn't get in. It really depends on whether there is conpetition from other international students. GPAs can be lower for international students because they are competing against other international students for a spot. It alsp depends if the program thinks you woll be a strong enough candidate to keep up with their rigourous program. Nobody can really predict you have to apply and see.