+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Assylum seeker needs help urgent!!!

Kjano

Dec 16, 2015
So i am an assylum seeker 20 years old male and came on a visa to usa and i was wondering if i was eligible to apply for assylum in Canada. I only have one relative there in canada he is 30 years old and my nephew from my step sister. Yes, you heard it right. So the qurstion still remains whether i am eligible or not?

Thabk you all in advance

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Kjano said:
So i am an assylum seeker 20 years old male and came on a visa to usa and i was wondering if i was eligible to apply for assylum in Canada. I only have one relative there in canada he is 30 years old and my nephew from my step sister. Yes, you heard it right. So the qurstion still remains whether i am eligible or not?

Thabk you all in advance
He is your nephew so you are eligible to claim a refugee protection. A nephew is a son of one's sibling or half-sibling. and age doesn't matter a nephew can be of any age..:)

hope it helps

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should read this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

And verify whether the young man you mention is considered your nephew ("close relative") by CIC; I suspect he is not, & that you should claim asylum in the US: the first safe country in which you arrived.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Lammawitch said:
You should read this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

And verify whether the young man you mention is considered your nephew ("close relative") by CIC; I suspect he is not, & that you should claim asylum in the US: the first safe country in which you arrived.
Lammawitch incorrect... please read your suggested page carefully.

Scroll down to the definition section of the page where it states that

The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

spouse
legal guardian
child
father or mother
sister or brother
grandfather or grandmother
grandchild
uncle or aunt
nephew or niece
common-law partner
same-sex spouse

So Kjano is eligible to apply for asylum at the us-canada boarder as he has a close relative (nephew) in canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kriv said:
Lammawitch incorrect please read your suggested page carefully.

Scroll down to the definition section of the page where it states that

The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

spouse
legal guardian
child
father or mother
sister or brother
grandfather or grandmother
grandchild
uncle or aunt
nephew or niece
common-law partner
same-sex spouse

So Kjano is eligible to apply for asylum at the us-canada boarder as he has a close relative (nephew) in canada.
1. The OP has no blood relationship to the claimed nephew, note he said that it is the son of a STEP sister.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. The OP has no blood relationship to the claimed nephew, note he said that it is the son of a STEP sister.
Yes and the matter of fact is that the son of his half sister will be considered as his nephew. Now the op must elaborate his exact relation with his sister/step sister/siblings

Kjano

Dec 16, 2015
Hi,
Sorry i am new to this page and accidently clicked something else instead of replying :p

So the story goes like this:
My stepsister and i share the same father but different mothers so yes we do have half a blood relationship. But the problem is that my niece is an a** and chances are he wont help me. But does that create any problem or should i just get a lawyer and ask him to to do his part of the thing?

Kjano

Dec 16, 2015
kriv said:
Yes and the matter of fact is that the son of his half sister will be considered as his nephew. Now the op must elaborate his exact relation with his sister/step sister/siblings

I elaborated what i could, it is more of an incestial kind of thing hard to explain so here we go, my father gave her daughter (my step-sister) to my uncle. And my uncle gave her sister (my mother) to my father. Its like a traditional match making thing and its pretty stupid if u ask me. And so my step sister's son would be both my nephew and my cousin. Since we share the same blood as my father then her son would be blood relatrd to me, right?

Kjano

Dec 16, 2015
kriv said:
Exact relationship is that we are 6 siblings in total, and that 5 of us are from one mother, and one of us; my step-sister is from another mother who is deceased. And my father is deceased as well, and my step sister married my mom's brother and tada~ gave birth to the nephew i have in canada. Does that clearly explains the relationship? We do share the same father so my father is my nephew's grandfather as well.

Oh, and btw my nephew is a bit of a jerk i wonder if he will help much so can i hire a lawyer and push him to help me or something? And what documents do i exactly need at the border good sir, and what rocuments should my nephee have to prove the relationship? Is her moms id card that stems to my father enough to prove it?

Also should he come to the border or just give a call since he is working and might be busy

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Thank you PMM. It appears we were both misled by the terminology used.

As the OP has now clarified that it is a HALF sister, and not a STEP sister (two entirely different relationships), it appears that he can claim asylum on the basis of having a nephew in Canada, as mentioned by Kriv in his reply.

Kriv: I did read my link carefully. See above why PMM & I believed the nephew was not a relative based on the first post.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Kjano said:
Hi,
Sorry i am new to this page and accidently clicked something else instead of replying :p

So the story goes like this:
My stepsister and i share the same father but different mothers so yes we do have half a blood relationship. But the problem is that my niece is an a** and chances are he wont help me. But does that create any problem or should i just get a lawyer and ask him to to do his part of the thing?
Will the nephew at least confirm that he's related to you?

Kjano

Dec 16, 2015
Lammawitch said:
Thank you PMM. It appears we were both misled by the terminology used.

As the OP has now clarified that it is a HALF sister, and not a STEP sister (two entirely different relationships), it appears that he can claim asylum on the basis of having a nephew in Canada, as mentioned by Kriv in his reply.

Kriv: I did read my link carefully. See above why PMM & I believed the nephew was not a relative based on the first post.
Sorry my bad, gentlemen, i sure didnt know that there existed a special word for that kind of a relationship :p thank you and really appreciated

Roland

Sep 19, 2014
It is possible but you have to give good reasons why to convince the CBSA why you did not claim refugee in the US which is also a safe country.