+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking for Friend - Advice

crossiwre

Jan 11, 2019
My friend is Syrian national currently in Turkey with a short term tourist residence permit. He would like to come to Canada. Not sure the options right now. Refugee?Visitor? so I need to know which forum to be asking questions. For permanent stay in Canada, I assume visitor is not the best approach unless he comes as visitor and then applies for refugee? Any useful advise is appreciated. Much Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Is he registered with UNHCR as a refugee?

If his aim is to claim refugee status in Canada, he needs to get here first.

crossiwre

Jan 11, 2019
Can he get a visitor visa then to come to Canada then? Not sure the stipulations for those arriving from turkey who have Syrian passports there.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
He can try, but it will be very challenging for that reason. He has to show ties in his current country of residence or home country that would give him reason to leave Canada at the end of his authorized stay.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
He has a short term residence permit in Turkey till next year.
He can apply for a TRV but has pretty much no chance of approval.

If he is a genuine refugee, he needs to register with UNHCR, who will resettle him wherever they can.

Reactions: k.h.p.

crossiwre

Jan 11, 2019
OK - so no point applying for at least a visitor visa to canada at this point or can he try that route also.?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OK - so no point applying for at least a visitor visa to canada at this point or can he try that route also.?
A visitor visa IS a TRV. He can try but as a Syrian with temporary status in Turkey, he won't be approved.

crossiwre

Jan 11, 2019
Ah ok - So best bet is register to UNHCR first. I wasnt sure if the form I linked above was the right one.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Registering with UNHCR won't necessarily get him to Canada. It will get him to the first safe country UNHCR can find. That could be Lithuania for all we know.