+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ask to appear on test, still under peace bond period, Does it affect Citizenship

Jason1977

May 6, 2020
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it warrants repeating and emphasizing that I am NO expert regarding these things. And, for example, look at the very first sentence in the post of mine you quote:
"I do not know the Canadian criminal justice process very well at all."​
I was NOT being coy.

And I very well understand why you say "Its a little bit confusing . . . " Yes, it is.

Moreover, this may very well be one of those situations in which I personally would NOT follow my own counsel, at least not in the past when I was younger and, like many in this forum still, when I had some difficulty approaching such things without seeing them through a what-favours-me filter.

The night in jail throws things off some. Can you truthfully check "no" you were not an inmate in a jail when you were in fact held in custody?

My sense is that the odds are very good there is NO prohibition. As for whether there was a period of time pursuant to which you do not get credit for being present in Canada, due to being incarcerated, at the most that adds up to just two days, if any. And even that may be wiped off the slate given the final disposition.

But as you say, and it's true, how to answer the respective questions is a little bit confusing.

My older, more risk-averse, do the safe thing approach would be inclined to check "yes" to questions about being charged and incarcerated, and give a BRIEF specific explanation as to date of arrest, charge, and final disposition, that the charges were totally dismissed. But yes, this will increase the risk of at least some non-routine processing. Perhaps as minimal as a fingerprint request. Perhaps a request for copies of the formal court records showing the total discharge of the charges.

And thus I would go to the court and obtain certified copies of the court records to be prepared to submit those in case there is a request for them.

There is a significant likelihood that just the arrest itself will trigger such non-routine processing anyway, and being upfront about the situation should make a better impression.

While I do not know what really happens when charges are totally dismissed and fingerprint records destroyed, my sense is that there is still a record, just not a public record . . . so, for example, the GCMS screening might not show a hit, that being based on a name-record criminal data base which is broadly accessible, but the RCMP background clearance could still show a hit. And then the question is whether either the RCMP or IRCC will want more information before determining you are clear of any potential prohibition.

BUT I DO NOT REALLY KNOW WHAT THE BETTER APPROACH IS HERE.

Ultimately, based on what you report (and that, in particular, the charges have been totally dismissed, and thus are as if you were never charged or at least found to be innocent), there should be NO prohibition, and at the very, very worst a deduction of two days from your presence calculation (if any). So it may cause some non-routine processing along the way, and thus take longer than it does for many others, but not affect the final outcome.
Thanks a lot for your great explanation .
I want to say the truth but I really dont know detaining over the night in the police office is "Jail" or not .
And about Porhibition : I agree . I remeber that my lawyer told me this is not Prohibition .
And for Parole I am supposed to say No .
In colclution the answer would be : Yes for Jail and No for Prohibition and Parole . Am i right ?
Also i want to know your opinion about attaching all court document "and a document that briefly explains the case that i got recently from the court" to the file for clarifing the case to be clear . What do you think ?

Thanks again .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks a lot for your great explanation .
I want to say the truth but I really dont know detaining over the night in the police office is "Jail" or not .
And about Porhibition : I agree . I remeber that my lawyer told me this is not Prohibition .
And for Parole I am supposed to say No .
In colclution the answer would be : Yes for Jail and No for Prohibition and Parole . Am i right ?
Also i want to know your opinion about attaching all court document "and a document that briefly explains the case that i got recently from the court" to the file for clarifing the case to be clear . What do you think ?

Thanks again .
Again, I am no expert, and this is especially so in regards to questions like this.

Moreover, I am not clear what you are asking about precisely.

2-In the form there is a question that is :
Are you now or have you ever been in the last 4 years : An inmate of Jail , reformatory , parison ?
On Probation ?
On Parole ?
I am not familiar with this question as you frame it. Item 16 in the application (CIT 0002 (12-2019) version) makes no reference to jail. Item 16.1. asks about being on probation or parole *now* which it appears clearly you are not.

The online physical presence calculator asks if you were "sentenced" to imprisonment, which it appears you were not "sentenced" for an offense at all.

Thus, my sense is you can probably answer Item 16 with all "NO" responses, and likewise answer "NO" to the question in the online presence calculator about being sentenced to imprisonment or probation.

But this depends on the specific details in how you were charged and the disposition of that charge. There is quite a bit of variation in how domestic related assault is handled in Canada and again I am NOT much familiar with the Canadian criminal justice system.

Donald Trump

Aug 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do upfront counseling increase chances of getting a peace bond? Please suggest some counseling centers in Ontario and specific program name if you have one. Thanks.

Donald Trump

Aug 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under what circumstances does crown don't give disclosure on first date? I had my first date but crown didn't give disclosure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Under what circumstances does crown don't give disclosure on first date? I had my first date but crown didn't give disclosure.
These are questions for the lawyer you are working with on your case. These aren't immigration matters.

Reactions: Donald Trump