+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arriving to Canada Ontario quarantine

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
my father in law arrives to Canada later this month (he has permanent residency)

We have a separate basement apartment with kitchen/bathroom etc and we can buy food in advance to allow for 14 day quarantine.

His wife lives in that apartment right now.
A few questions:
I heard they have to be quarantined together, is this correct?

(If they don't have to be in quarantine together she potentially can move in with us for these 14 days)

Can I pick him up at airport (with mask and everything), or would i have to quarantine as well?
If I can't is taxi an option?

Problem he is not great English speaker so not sure how he supposed to call them during quarantine to notify of his situation. Maybe if it is a conference call with me as a translator ....
Also he doesn't have a local Canadian number, but I can give him/leave in the apartment potentially ...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
my father in law arrives to Canada later this month (he has permanent residency)

We have a separate basement apartment with kitchen/bathroom etc and we can buy food in advance to allow for 14 day quarantine.

His wife lives in that apartment right now.
A few questions:
I heard they have to be quarantined together, is this correct?

(If they don't have to be in quarantine together she potentially can move in with us for these 14 days)

Can I pick him up at airport (with mask and everything), or would i have to quarantine as well?
If I can't is taxi an option?

Problem he is not great English speaker so not sure how he supposed to call them during quarantine to notify of his situation. Maybe if it is a conference call with me as a translator ....
Also he doesn't have a local Canadian number, but I can give him/leave in the apartment potentially ...
She should really move in with you so she isn't put at risk. He can quarantine alone. The language barrier shouldn't be an issue. They will need to reach him so I'm not sure what will be best in terms of contact number. You can pick him up or a taxi/uber. You shouldn't greet each other when he arrives and remain socially distant. Like with taxi/uber drivers, he should sit in the back seat on the opposite side of the driver, both should have masks and you should drive with the windows open to create ventilation. You should wipe down the car and handles when you get home. You don't need to quarantine if that is your only contact.

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
She should really move in with you so she isn't put at risk. He can quarantine alone. The language barrier shouldn't be an issue. They will need to reach him so I'm not sure what will be best in terms of contact number. You can pick him up or a taxi/uber. You shouldn't greet each other when he arrives and remain socially distant. Like with taxi/uber drivers, he should sit in the back seat on the opposite side of the driver, both should have masks and you should drive with the windows open to create ventilation. You should wipe down the car and handles when you get home. You don't need to quarantine if that is your only contact.

Thanks

Someone told us his wife has to quarantine as well, even if no contact. Is this really the case?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks

Someone told us his wife has to quarantine as well, even if no contact. Is this really the case?
Did that someone explain why?

If the person arriving doesn't have any contact with his wife, then there is no reason for the wife to be quarantined with him.

Make sure that she moves with everything she needs before he arrives (not possible to go to the apartment to fetch something that she missed). And make sure that she has no contact with him after his arrival until the 14 days quaratine period is up.

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Did that someone explain why?

If the person arriving doesn't have any contact with his wife, then there is no reason for the wife to be quarantined with him.

Make sure that she moves with everything she needs before he arrives (not possible to go to the apartment to fetch something that she missed). And make sure that she has no contact with him after his arrival until the 14 days quaratine period is up.

He said his wife arrived earlier this year and he had to go to quarantine with her, since the government doesn't trust married couple to stay separated
Not sure if there is any confirmation on this in any policies though

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
He said his wife arrived earlier this year and he had to go to quarantine with her, since the government doesn't trust married couple to stay separated
Not sure if there is any confirmation on this in any policies though
My husband travel out and back in the summer for emergency. He stayed in the basement suite and no one requested that I stayed quaratine with him. (I lived in the main suite of the house, and provide him food at the door of basement entrance.)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as they don't have contact it is actually best if only people who are arriving from abroad quarantine on their own. Many of the people quarantining with their families are creating a larger public health risk.