+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

arriving in canada

yre37768

Jan 21, 2009
Hi all,

was wondering what the procedure is when arriving in canada, Im arriving in canada in november and I have never travelled before so am not sure what to expect and I am really nervous, what happens in customs when you arrive Im coming from australia which is a visa exempt country so only need passport, am coming to see my fiance but will not be telling them that as his sister is collecting me from the airport and I will be living with her when I arrive, so do they drill you with questions on why you are wanting to enter canada, can they stop me from staying the whole six months Im entitled to stay for, do I need to provide finances I dont need to pay for food and accomodation and I will have roughly $7000 cad to cover 6 months stay, does anyone have anything they can tell me that will ease my mind :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will probably ask you the purpose of your visit and how long you are planning to stay. If you are vague about something and they think you are hiding something, they will probably get suspicious and question you further. The problem I can see with your story is that you are going to visit "friends" for 6 months. Normally people don't go visit their friends for 6 months. They go visit their friends for 2-3 weeks, maybe a month. It might actually be better for you to just say that you are going to visit your boyfriend.

Maybe somebody else has some pointers on this?

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
My bf came to Canada last December as a visitor. He just told them he is coming to visit a friend. We didn't mention that we are planning to get married because it would be risky. They took me and questioned me as well. Also I had to translate as well.They asked me if we are intend to get married. I was totally honest with them and told them probably or probably not and if we are married I'll be more happy to let them know when my bf leaves the country. I never gave them as a yes answer about the fact that we are getting married. He declares all the funds he had, he didn't hide anything from them. The might only give you only 3 months visit instead of the full 6 months and they will ask you when you leave Canada you have to go to the customs and let them know that you are leaving.
Everything should be ok if you don't show them you are nervous or have anything to hide.
Actually I find they are very nice and friendly when they questioned me.
Good luck.