+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arriving in canada ,how to get work permit and apply for PR

Andyk68

Apr 13, 2015
Hi,
I have applied for ms in canada and got my offer letters also. I am aware with the student visa process. but dont know what to do after arriving . I mean what are the first things to do?how one can manage everything? What are on campus and off campus jobs. What accounts i need to manage my money ?and how to apply for work permit and pr?
Please can anyone explain me the whole procedure.

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just concentrate on your study permit first. Once you've been approved, then look into planning for your arrival. Although it is wise to think ahead with some things.

Housing - choose either living on campus or private rental. Living on campus is easier, in terms of getting to classes, but can sometimes work out more expensive, depending where you go. Living on campus is louder, but it's easier to meet people and make friends. Some universities offer on-campus housing particularly for international transfers/students so you are closer together. There are pros and cons to each choice, it's a personal choice. Either way, you need to book it before you arrive in Canada, but after you receive your permit approval. You do not need to apply for a work permit or PR when you get there. On a study permit, you are allowed to work 20 hours a week during school time, and 40 hours a week during holidays.

Banking - I assume you have a family member or loan from home paying for your tuition/board. But you ought to set up a bank account from Canada for everyday spending (food, clothes, travel). You can do this online before you go.

Travel - most universities have student bus passes (either free or for a discounted fee) so you can get around campus/the city.

Starting at university - All universities have advisors. You can email/phone or meet up with them in person and ask them pretty much anything and they'll do their best to help you. If you're unsure of where to go at first, if you've missed any kind of enrolment or deadline, go to your university website and look up an advisor in the area you need and shoot them an email. Larger universities will have societies also, there will most likely be one for internationals so browse your university website/social media and you'll probably stumble across some groups to join and hopefully some friendly people to talk to who are in similar situations to yourself, or people who went through the same thing.

puneetmaan

Star Member
Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hannahmay said:
Just concentrate on your study permit first. Once you've been approved, then look into planning for your arrival. Although it is wise to think ahead with some things.

Housing - choose either living on campus or private rental. Living on campus is easier, in terms of getting to classes, but can sometimes work out more expensive, depending where you go. Living on campus is louder, but it's easier to meet people and make friends. Some universities offer on-campus housing particularly for international transfers/students so you are closer together. There are pros and cons to each choice, it's a personal choice. Either way, you need to book it before you arrive in Canada, but after you receive your permit approval. You do not need to apply for a work permit or PR when you get there. On a study permit, you are allowed to work 20 hours a week during school time, and 40 hours a week during holidays.

Banking - I assume you have a family member or loan from home paying for your tuition/board. But you ought to set up a bank account from Canada for everyday spending (food, clothes, travel). You can do this online before you go.

Travel - most universities have student bus passes (either free or for a discounted fee) so you can get around campus/the city.

Starting at university - All universities have advisors. You can email/phone or meet up with them in person and ask them pretty much anything and they'll do their best to help you. If you're unsure of where to go at first, if you've missed any kind of enrolment or deadline, go to your university website and look up an advisor in the area you need and shoot them an email. Larger universities will have societies also, there will most likely be one for internationals so browse your university website/social media and you'll probably stumble across some groups to join and hopefully some friendly people to talk to who are in similar situations to yourself, or people who went through the same thing.
Wow! Well answered

Don't you think living off campus is much better? Since, one does not have certain restrictions etc.

Also, one needs to have a GIC account, right? So that Scotiabank account is supposed to be the primary bank account.

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
puneetmaan said:
Wow! Well answered

Don't you think living off campus is much better? Since, one does not have certain restrictions etc.

Also, one needs to have a GIC account, right? So that Scotiabank account is supposed to be the primary bank account.

I don't believe you HAVE to have a GIC, well I didn't. I used GCKey on CIC myself. But I suppose it would make it easier to use Scotia through and through, saves the hassle of setting something up twice lol.

Personally I prefer off campus. I did a degree before in my home country and lived on campus for 2 years - never again haha. It was fun, but I found too many students wanted "fun" 24/7 whereas I wanted some peace and quiet 6 out of 7 days a week. And, like you said, less restrictions off campus.