01-02-2011
File Transfer...
15-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-08-2010
Passport Req..
17-06-2011
hopefully not a repost

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/18/toronto-pakistan-arranged-marriage-pearson.html

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
I saw that! How sad for her. While I am not a fan of these marriages I think that since he went into that commitment he should honor it for her sake. I hope that she is not cast out back in Pakistan. I really felt for her because going through immigration at Pearson is tough enough and then to be told that your sponsor backed out....

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
There are 3 sides to every story. His side, her side, and the truth. I am still waiting to hear the truth.

Pardon me for my skepticism, but everybody has something to gain here if this "story" is accepted: he gets a divorce and the right to marry someone else (quite likely another Pakistani bride whom he will have to sponsor) and she gets the right to stay in Canada under humanitarian and compassionate grounds, even though she may not qualify for a PR on her own merits. Is anyone willing to take bets on whether somewhere down the line she doesn't decide she wants to sponsor a spouse into Canada too? What exactly is Canada getting out of this?

How does it become Canada's responsibility to provide for this so-called "abandoned bride", who (if you believe him) was told she shouldn't get on the plane because he had withdrawn his sponsorship? If you believe her, she was coming to a loving, excited husband. Since he turned out not to be such, how does she become Canada's problem? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Canadian wives and children who have been abandoned by Canadian husbands, are you telling me every last one of them is relying on government assistance to make their way through life?

I know I might sound harsh. Or that I don't understand the cultural norms and what she will face as a divorced woman if she goes back to Pakistan. I can only say, that there are hundreds of thousands of women worldwide who are facing stigma of all kind, living lives made difficult by circumstances beyond their control. In most cases, they have to just deal with life as it comes, they don't expect someone else's country to clean up the mess and assume responsibility for them.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It sounds like it was the woman (and her family) who arranged the marriage solely so she could come to Canada. If she gets a PR, then she sponsors her parents, grandparents, and siblings. The husband reneged on the deal, yes, but I can't see why she should be allowed to stay. I day in Canada, and she wants to stay on humanitarian grounds?

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
That is why I am not a fan charlie and canadawoman. Makes you wonder how many families "pay" for these marriages just to gain entry into another country. The article says she has been asked to leave by Sunday so we will just have to see what happens to her.
The flip side is those brides who marry for immigration then get here and are put into basic slavery to maintain their status.

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
I do not understand, how can she get the visa if her husband cancelled the sponsorship in the first place?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She won't get to stay. She is NOT a permanent resident as CBSA didn't "land" her so she has no appeal rights. She can try an H&C application if she wants to spend the money but it won't impact her removal as an H&C app won't stay a removal order.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Its not Canada's responsibility to 'take her in'. She spent a day ? and She wants to remain? With whom? YUP WHOM.
I think it was an arranged marriage, the guy fell out of love, cancelled and then she STILL decided to come to get the Permanent Status because she had family and she knew she could easily get permanent residency status. Or this money story is true but then the money would have to been paid before the marriage not 1 year after. No body gets married on a promisory note for money.

This story makes me so sick. Because its happens so frequently.

Oh and yeah I am indian and I don't want people to be perceiving me in this kind of way. Cause thats all I am seeing in the news and around me! BTW Hubby and I watched a movie made in Canada about this type of thing and he was totally put off. The girl's parents got her married, paid the money and she ends up getting beaten up all the time by the husband. The reason the husband wants the money is to sponsor his brother from India and then the Girl's family want to pay the family more so that they could sponsor the girl's brother. It was a troubling movie.

lama21

Jan 5, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011
AOR Received.
22-03-2011
File Transfer...
09-03-2011
Med's Done....
06-01-2011
Passport Req..
30-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2011
LANDED..........
01-06-2011
But hey didn't they showed her with the landing papers when the other guy was interviewing her and when she was looking at the picture.I mean she has the landing paper so obviously she is consider PR, isn't she.

I can't really say much about it because the reason is still not unknown,and no idea who is saying the truth....also when he canx the sponsorship, why he felt out of love and all. The thing is when you are not into arrange marriage, or you love someone else, then why bother to marry someone your parents want you too and destroy someones life. Is it that easy for some ppl to play with others feeling. I don't know where the world is heading too seriously.

bobswife

Jul 28, 2010
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 oct 2009-AIP AND OWP 30/4/10
Doc's Request.
15 June 2010
Med's Request
2ND MARCH 1 2011
Med's Done....
17 MARCH 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
they sent letter to decision made and app was transfered to Edmonton Ab
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon!!!hope before may 31 2011
LANDED..........
soon!!;)
Name of the movie please?

CanadianDude

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
18-10-2010
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Done....
25-07-2010
Passport Req..
24-06-2011
All this bad publicity concerns me for all of us who are going through this process legitimately. I wonder how much of the waiting and being without the one you love while waiting for immigration visas to be issued has to do with people and scenarios like this?! :(

solosunseeker

Jan 29, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He "fell out of love" becuase he was never in love. It was an arranged marriage that really hadn't even started. They don't even know each other.

I am sad for the young women because she waiting a long time for this, as we all have or will. But I still don't think she should get to stay without a sponser.

On the other side, I don't think this guy should never be allowed to sponser another spouse, especially another arranged marriage.

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
Brown people will never learn from arranged marriages, dowries and the caste system.

I too am brown but I don't practice the BS that the majority of brown ppl get themselves involved in. I spit on people that dare bring up such things. And we wonder why places like Pakistan have such long processing time lines. India better watch out because they too are slipping up with these arranged/fake/unloved marriages.

It disgusts me the way people abuse the immigration system to gain a Golden entry into Canada.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
lama21 said:
I mean she has the landing paper so obviously she is consider PR, isn't she.
Her visa was issued, but landing would've had to be stamped and confirmed at the airport... which it wasn't, because CIC caught on the sponsorship cancellation. (And I was very surprised to find out sponsorship can be withdrawn so late in the process; you live you learn :)).

And as a general comment for this and all similar situations - if there is no family to reunite, there is no reason to immigrate. If her husband doesn't want to stay married to her, she has no reason to even want to stay in Canada... unless her primary motivation was something other than joining her husband, in which case she abused the system and deserves deportation, not H&C.

(I'm sorry if someone finds this offensive: I've done inordinate amounts of laundry today and my love for humanity is not at its highest.)

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
It seems to me she must have already been aware that the husband had withdrawn the sponsorship and just come to Canada regardless of the fact he no longer wanted to continue with the marriage/sponsorship. I guess she was hoping for H&C but this won't happen so home she goes.