+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Are you a Canadian living exclusively outside of Canada?"

Matt VL

Jan 19, 2020
On form IMM1344 there is a question under "Sponsor Residency Declaration" : Are you a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside of Canada?
My situation is a bit unique and I have not found any forums that have a similar case to mine. I just want to answer this question correctly and honestly so as not to delay the application process.

I am a Canadian citizen by birth and am applying to sponsor my wife to become a Canadian permanent resident. She is an Ecuadorian citizen and I live with her, in Ecuador, for the majority of the year. I do however not have a job, here in Ecuador, and to support ourselves financially I return to Canada every year for a seasonal job in the Yukon. I work this job for 4-5 months a year, without leaving Canada and then return to Ecuador to be with my wife.

What would the answer be for myself then? DO I live exclusively outside Canada? My address is in Ecuador however I travel to Canada for seasonal work every year.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just an opinion, but you would not normally be a resident of Canada. I believe it 183 days in Canada to qualify as a resident. As you spend the majority of the year in equator, you don’t reside in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
On form IMM1344 there is a question under "Sponsor Residency Declaration" : Are you a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside of Canada?
My situation is a bit unique and I have not found any forums that have a similar case to mine. I just want to answer this question correctly and honestly so as not to delay the application process.

I am a Canadian citizen by birth and am applying to sponsor my wife to become a Canadian permanent resident. She is an Ecuadorian citizen and I live with her, in Ecuador, for the majority of the year. I do however not have a job, here in Ecuador, and to support ourselves financially I return to Canada every year for a seasonal job in the Yukon. I work this job for 4-5 months a year, without leaving Canada and then return to Ecuador to be with my wife.

What would the answer be for myself then? DO I live exclusively outside Canada? My address is in Ecuador however I travel to Canada for seasonal work every year.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you
You live outside of Canada and travel here for 4-5 months a year to work.