+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are we totally screwed?

Lukehe

Apr 6, 2013
Hi all.

My girlfriend and I are in Canada on the IEC, applied for a new one before the current one expired.
We waited for some time, after which my girlfriend received an email saying that her application was rejected (long story short we had applied for the wrong type of Visa, that does not include the IEC program).

With the expiry of our visas mere days away, we hastily applied for the required documentation from Australia so that we could apply again, hopefully this time down the right channel.
In the meantime, I still have not received any notification of acceptance or rejection from the black hole that is CIC. So am in the process now of just reapplying.

Long story short, at currently 2 weeks past expiry of our initial visas, I've come to the realization that we shouldnt be working, and our lives in Canada are quite possibly over. I don't think we have enough savings to get through over a month's worth of waiting for our applications to be processed.

What I'm hoping to hear from someone here is that there is something that I'm missing? And we are not completely doomed.

The only solution I can see is to cross the border, get a standard tourist/visitor visa, and wait it out until our applications are finally processed. All the while not working and throwing away what could possibly have been awesome careers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your IEC visa is expired for less than 90 days, you can apply to restore your status to visitor without leaving the country. Give the reason that you are in the process of applying for another IEC visa.

If your employer is not willing to wait a couple of months for you to get a work permit again, it was probably not an awesome career that you lost out on.

As for money, do what other young people do in that situation, phone your parents/other relatives back home and beg for a little cash to keep you alive. You can pay it back when you are working again.