+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
You can apply for OCI only after you've stayed fr 6 months on a temporary visa like entry visa. You cannot apply for OCI from India while you are on e-visa. You have to apply for an entry visa first and then apply for OCI after 6 months of stay.
The process seems to be similar to that in Canada. You fill the application online and then submit it at FRRO. I haven't done it yet. So not sure about the exact process
e visa is not extendible one time you can stay max 180 days

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Yes. For longer duration stay you will need an entry visa.
At this time, electronic Indian Online Visa (eVisa India) cannot be extended. The process is simple and straightforward to apply for a new Indian Visa Online (eVisa India). Once issued this Indian Visa is not extensible, cancellable, transferable or amendable

gvinay23

Sep 12, 2022
My wife & I traveled last night to India…will share about her as I have a Canadian passport with evisa, but she used her Indian passport to travel despite being a Canadian citizen.

We had a multi-city multi-layover trip just to spend time in other country’s on our way to India. She has a US & Schengen visa on her passport. We traveled Toronto to New York for a night, then New York to Italy for a week, then Italy to Delhi and arrived this morning. She used her Indian passport through & through and no questions were asked about her Canadian status in Canada, in US or in India, and she went through immigration in Delhi without any issues…
I'm in a similar situation as you. Planning to travel to India with Canadian Passport and evisa and still having a valid India passport. Will likely surrender my Indian passport in India. Did you face any issues at indian immigration when you showed you Canadian Pasport with evisa though you had a valid Indian Passport as well.

Just curious to know just so I have an idea if I'm okay to go ahead with my plan.

Thanks

raja1028

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Yes. For longer duration stay you will need an entry visa.
Hi nivaan, i will be travelling to India this month end and will be surrendering my passport in India itself. Can you please let me know what are the documents you were asked to submit for surrender certificate.
I have filled in an application form in passport India website.
My assumption is I need to take the printout of that form, pay the fee online, submit the passports, provide citizenship certificate.
Apart from that, anything else is needed?
Also can it be done at PSK or only at RPO?

Thanks.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi nivaan, i will be travelling to India this month end and will be surrendering my passport in India itself. Can you please let me know what are the documents you were asked to submit for surrender certificate.
I have filled in an application form in passport India website.
My assumption is I need to take the printout of that form, pay the fee online, submit the passports, provide citizenship certificate.
Apart from that, anything else is needed?
Also can it be done at PSK or only at RPO?

Thanks.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/are-visa-services-being-offered-to-canadian-citizens-who-are-already-in-india.823782/post-10673359

Reactions: raja1028

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
You will need self attested copies of proof of citizenship (passport, CC), additional address proof (address same as on India passport)
You will need original Indian passport (to surrender), Canada passport, CC (in case you recd it online, then just a printout).

raja1028

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
You will need self attested copies of proof of citizenship (passport, CC), additional address proof (address same as on India passport)
You will need original Indian passport (to surrender), Canada passport, CC (in case you recd it online, then just a printout).
Thank you.
Also, can we do the payment online or need to pay at RPO?
Payment option is being shown in passport India website but i'm not sure if RPO accepts it.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Thank you.
Also, can we do the payment online or need to pay at RPO?
Payment option is being shown in passport India website but i'm not sure if RPO accepts it.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/are-visa-services-being-offered-to-canadian-citizens-who-are-already-in-india.823782/post-10641586

I paid the fees online. I remember there was a note that we don't have to submit a physical copy of the receipt. They did not ask for a copy at the RPO too.

sreddyk

Jun 20, 2023
@nivaan5 I followed your post, got SC on the same day at Vizag RPO, thank you for all your detailed posts. Applied for X visa the same day (Dec 1st), have had no update so far, how long before you had the first update?, Current status in FRO portal is - "Application Submitted Successfully waiting for further Instruction "

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
I submitted on the 19th of Oct. Got an email that it is in process the next day. From 26th onwards I started receiving document requests that I have mentioned in previous posts. There were 4 non-working days after I submitted my application. So you may hear from them earlier if they need any additional documents. Also, this was the timeline for Bangalore FRRO.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

sreddyk

Jun 20, 2023
@nivaan5 After a few emails to FRO Hyderabad and Bangalore my application is updated to in progress status, received request for additional documents-FORM C and a declaration for extension, were you asked for the same?

"Kindly Reupload Photo/Document or Additional Document through Re-Upload Missing and Additional Document. Remark from FRRO/FRO:- PLEASE UPLOAD URGENTLY 01) A REQUEST LETTER CLEARLY SPECIFYING THE PERIOD OF VISA EXTENSION (06 MONTHS/ 01 YEAR/ 05 YEARS AND PURPOSE OF STAY. 02) ONLINE FORM-C GENERATED BY HOUSE OWNER AS RESIDENCE PROOF. "

I responded with a declaration stating staying at parents house (with Aadhar attached) instead of form C, will see

Last edited:

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
@nivaan5 After a few emails to FRO Hyderabad and Bangalore my application is updated to in progress status, received request for additional documents-FORM C and a declaration for extension, were you asked for the same?

"Kindly Reupload Photo/Document or Additional Document through Re-Upload Missing and Additional Document. Remark from FRRO/FRO:- PLEASE UPLOAD URGENTLY 01) A REQUEST LETTER CLEARLY SPECIFYING THE PERIOD OF VISA EXTENSION (06 MONTHS/ 01 YEAR/ 05 YEARS AND PURPOSE OF STAY. 02) ONLINE FORM-C GENERATED BY HOUSE OWNER AS RESIDENCE PROOF. "

I responded with a declaration stating staying at parents house (with Aadhar attached) instead of form C, will see
I stay with my parents too. I had already submitted a letter signed by my father which stated that we live with him at his residence along with his Aadhar card for residence proof. For tenant verification, I wrote a letter that it is a house owned by my father. Since I was applying for a visa for the first time (not extension) I was not asked for any other letter.