+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are Visa Extensions Valid 6 months from date of approval?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
My mother in law was supposed to leave Aug 27th 2020 but we applied for an extension on July 16th. It is in process now with an estimated processing time of 179 days.

If that timeline works out, it will be approved around January 2021. Will the extension be valid 6 months from the approval date? If not, what date is it based on?

Also, I put on her extension that we would like her to stay until November 16th. Did I do this wrong if we now want her to stay longer. What i mean is, do they usually grant a 6 month extension or do they grant to a specific date? Her extension will be in process until after Nov 16th, so she has implied status, will they assume that she left on Nov 16th even though she is still here? (FYI we are now planning on her staying until around March or April 2021)

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My mother in law was supposed to leave Aug 27th 2020 but we applied for an extension on July 16th. It is in process now with an estimated processing time of 179 days.

If that timeline works out, it will be approved around January 2021. Will the extension be valid 6 months from the approval date? If not, what date is it based on?

Also, I put on her extension that we would like her to stay until November 16th. Did I do this wrong if we now want her to stay longer. What i mean is, do they usually grant a 6 month extension or do they grant to a specific date? Her extension will be in process until after Nov 16th, so she has implied status, will they assume that she left on Nov 16th even though she is still here? (FYI we are now planning on her staying until around March or April 2021)
It's really up to IRCC how much time they grant regardless of how long you ask for. They may grant her another six months from the time the extension is approved or they may grant a shorter period of time (e.g. few weeks) - of course there's also always the possibility of refusal. Whatever time is granted is from the date the extension is approved.

No - they won't assume she left Nov 16th. She has implied status until a decision is made.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
It's really up to IRCC how much time they grant regardless of how long you ask for. They may grant her another six months from the time the extension is approved or they may grant a shorter period of time (e.g. few weeks) - of course there's also always the possibility of refusal. Whatever time is granted is from the date the extension is approved.

No - they won't assume she left Nov 16th. She has implied status until a decision is made.
thanks for the detailed answer. If it is refused (i dont think there is any reason it would be) how long does she have to leave, one day? I should add, her actual visa is a 10 year multiple entry visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for the detailed answer. If it is refused (i dont think there is any reason it would be) how long does she have to leave, one day? I should add, her actual visa is a 10 year multiple entry visa.
She should leave withing 30 days of a refusal.

Refusal is actually entirely possible if she has been here quite some time. Remeber that visitor visas are for visiting, not trying to live here. A 10 year multiple entry visa does not allow her to stay here for 10 years. Generally speaking IRCC expects people to spend more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any given year.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
She should leave withing 30 days of a refusal.

Refusal is actually entirely possible if she has been here quite some time. Remeber that visitor visas are for visiting, not trying to live here. A 10 year multiple entry visa does not allow her to stay here for 10 years. Generally speaking IRCC expects people to spend more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any given year.
Thanks. She has only been here since the start of March 2020. We were going to send her back home on aug 27th but philippine airlines cancelled all the flights and we couldnt get a flight booked. We can now, but just trying to time out what to do.

ghenny

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
Same situation here. Ive been here since March. And i applied for extention since April( paper application) but havent heard anything. Now my visa was expired and im on implied status. Although i could book a flight by now but me and boyfriend plan for a common law. So i’ll just wait. Good luck to us. And good luck to your mom kabayan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Same situation here. Ive been here since March. And i applied for extention since April( paper application) but havent heard anything. Now my visa was expired and im on implied status. Although i could book a flight by now but me and boyfriend plan for a common law. So i’ll just wait. Good luck to us. And good luck to your mom kabayan
You should only apply for an extension right before your status expires.