+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are these sufficient reasons to apply for an asylum?

ila8394

Aug 31, 2017
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is an Indonesian citizen. She's currently in Canada with a PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit). The political situation in Indonesian is pretty tense these days.

This past weekend alone, there were a few bombings targeting ethnic minorities and Christians. Here's the news: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/12/asia/indonesia-bombings/index.html

Well, in Indonesia, she's an ethnic minority, and she's also Christian. She fears going back to Indonesia as it's very possible that such attacks occur again in the future.

Do you think she has enough grounds to acquire a Canadian PR status via the in-Canada asylum program?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is an Indonesian citizen. She's currently in Canada with a PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit). The political situation in Indonesian is pretty tense these days.

This past weekend alone, there were a few bombings targeting ethnic minorities and Christians. Here's the news: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/12/asia/indonesia-bombings/index.html

Well, in Indonesia, she's an ethnic minority, and she's also Christian. She fears going back to Indonesia as it's very possible that such attacks occur again in the future.

Do you think she has enough grounds to acquire a Canadian PR status via the in-Canada asylum program?
Hi

No. She would need to show that she has actually been specifically targeted.

She should focus on gaining skilled work experience and qualifying through a regular immigration stream.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Having lived, worked and sponsored my Indonesian wife, there isn’t sufficient grounds based on this weekends bombings in Surabaya and other recent events. The government has a very moderate policy and recognizes the religious rights of minority religions. The government has actively and aggressively pursued and subdued terrorist organizations in the past that have used Islam as the basis of their attacks and continue to do so. The government has specifically noted yesterday that the police and military will use whatever means to protect and eradicate perpetrators of these and similar actions and the bombings have been criticized by the 2 largest Muslim organizations (NU and Muhammadiyah) as being terrorist acts and an affront to Islam and the religious harmony they recognize.
As she is in Canada, these recent acts have not directly affected her, making any claim even weaker, along with the fact that Indonesia is recognized as a moderate and very tolerant Islamic society. Religious tolerance and recognition is a cornerstone of their constitution.
IMO, she has nearly zero chance of having a refugee claim approved. I don’t understand why she would consider risking applying through a regular immigration stream with a refugee claim that will, in all likelihood, be rejected and probably ruin what she has worked for so far.

Hassan kardar

May 14, 2018
I'm worker of PPP vice president UC 53 from Lahore. Other partties are threten me badly and stoping me from compain. I belong to Kardar family and My grand father was first captain of cricker team and my uncle has been governer of State bank of pakistan.
basically I have some property issues with my (Chacha) which was ticket holder of PPP for MNA and had an election against Nawaz shareef. He attacked on me and tried to kill me twice time therefor kindly grant me a asylum Thank you.

ila8394

Aug 31, 2017
Thanks for the insights, canuck_in_uk and russ6970.

Also, "terima kasih" for Buletruck!! Hope your Indonesian wife enjoys her new home! :)

ila8394

Aug 31, 2017
I'm worker of PPP vice president UC 53 from Lahore. Other partties are threten me badly and stoping me from compain. I belong to Kardar family and My grand father was first captain of cricker team and my uncle has been governer of State bank of pakistan.
basically I have some property issues with my (Chacha) which was ticket holder of PPP for MNA and had an election against Nawaz shareef. He attacked on me and tried to kill me twice time therefor kindly grant me a asylum Thank you.

Hi, this website is an online immigration forum....we are not the CIC or the Canadian government, and thus we cannot grant you an asylum.