+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are the students who applied after October 8 ,2022 eligible for the extension of 20 hour week waiver for work hours announced by IRCC?

lewanjey

Star Member
Mar 4, 2022
Hello, Contrary to public opinion, I got a email from my college saying that the extension to the unlimited hour policy for international students is only applicable for those who applied before October 7 ,2022 and not others
This the email I got from immigration of my college "
Yesterday IRCC shared the policy for international students working more than 20 hours a week after Dec 31, 2023. The updated announcement states:
To be eligible for this public policy, the foreign national's study permit application must have been received by IRCC on or before October 7, 2022.
The full policy can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-
instructions-agreements/public-policies/off-campus-work-2023-update-2.html.
We understand this contradicts the announcement made on Dec 7. This is the most recent update and our students are expected to follow this. Please watch the IRCC newsrpm for further updates over the next few weeks.
Please remember you are now on a scheduled break until classes resume on January 8th. All students who are full time and returning to classes in January can work unlimited hours during the break.
Please check the date of your study permit application to confirm if you can continue working unlimited hours in January when classes resume. According to the newest announcement, if you applied for your study permit after Oct. 7 2022 you are not eligible for this policy.
We will continue to share updates as we receive them."

This came from the immigration department of the university to all students of Lakehead university.
So ,I was surprised since all other persons I talk to say otherwise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, Contrary to public opinion, I got a email from my college saying that the extension to the unlimited hour policy for international students is only applicable for those who applied before October 7 ,2022 and not others
This the email I got from immigration of my college "
Yesterday IRCC shared the policy for international students working more than 20 hours a week after Dec 31, 2023. The updated announcement states:
To be eligible for this public policy, the foreign national's study permit application must have been received by IRCC on or before October 7, 2022.
The full policy can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-
instructions-agreements/public-policies/off-campus-work-2023-update-2.html.
We understand this contradicts the announcement made on Dec 7. This is the most recent update and our students are expected to follow this. Please watch the IRCC newsrpm for further updates over the next few weeks.
Please remember you are now on a scheduled break until classes resume on January 8th. All students who are full time and returning to classes in January can work unlimited hours during the break.
Please check the date of your study permit application to confirm if you can continue working unlimited hours in January when classes resume. According to the newest announcement, if you applied for your study permit after Oct. 7 2022 you are not eligible for this policy.
We will continue to share updates as we receive them."

This came from the immigration department of the university to all students of Lakehead university.
So ,I was surprised since all other persons I talk to say otherwise.
Based on the full details released by IRCC, I agree the extension only applies to those who applied before October 7, 2022. I agree with your school.

lewanjey

Star Member
Mar 4, 2022
But everybody I know from other colleges who came just this year is working full time and say this is for all students. Even every news is saying that and 90 percent of other immigration consultants website say this is for all students

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But everybody I know from other colleges who came just this year is working full time and say this is for all students. Even every news is saying that and 90 percent of other immigration consultants website say this is for all students
Ultimately all that matters is the actual policy that IRCC publishes. It doesn't matter what everyone else says - they don't make the rules. Based on what IRCC has published, I do not see where it says this applies to everyone. Do you see this somewhere on the IRCC policy site?

lewanjey

Star Member
Mar 4, 2022
There's actually two policies on December 14
One has the word "amended" and another "second" on the title.
The "second" policy says before December 7 students are eligible while" amended " policy says only before October 7, 2022 students are eligible.
To be noted is both policy came on the same date.
So , I was wondering that IRCC released two updates.
One , it created a new policy for new students
And second, it amended the original policy that was released in 2022 .

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies.html

What do you think?