+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are sponsor parents allow to benefit from Ontario Drug Benefits?

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
My parents had their family doctor appointment today, I was unable to go due to work and I discovered after I got back from work that my dad (83) was given a discount at the pharmacy when he picked up his prescription.

I'm panicking because I have educated them (or so I thought) on why we can't take certain benefits without confirming. I'm fully aware of my obligation as a sponsor and I "assume" this is the Ontario drug benefit hence my questions.

Are they allowed and if they are not can I go back to the pharmacy to pay back.

I really do not want trouble in life...

• Sad
Reactions: vkamath

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
My parents had their family doctor appointment today, I was unable to go due to work and I discovered after I got back from work that my dad (83) was given a discount at the pharmacy when he picked up his prescription.

I'm panicking because I have educated them (or so I thought) on why we can't take certain benefits without confirming. I'm fully aware of my obligation as a sponsor and I "assume" this is the Ontario drug benefit hence my questions.

I am sure its an honest mistake buddy go and talk to the doctor/pharmacy.

Reactions: Ketobaby

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Also, as far as I know, you don't accidentally take social assistance. There's an application process. If you guys haven't applied for anything, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

They qualify like every other senior over 65. Most medications are covered under ODB. They have to pay a small yearly deductible and fee per prescription after that is based on whether they are a low or higher income senior. It is a substantial benefit for seniors who are usually on multiple medications.

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
Also, as far as I know, you don't accidentally take social assistance. There's an application process. If you guys haven't applied for anything, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Yes that is what I assumed and no we have not applied for anything...lol...

But I was scared maybe the pharmacist applied on their behalf like; "oh you know you qualify for this and puts in an application" but now that I say it out loud I sound ridiculous!!!

Thanks again....

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
They qualify like every other senior over 65. Most medications are covered under ODB. They have to pay a small yearly deductible and fee per prescription after that is based on whether they are a low or higher income senior. It is a substantial benefit for seniors who are usually on multiple medications.
Yea it happened after their first family doctor visit, the doctors office has a pharmacy so they just went there to pick up and the pharmacist informed my dad of the "discount". Good to know they qualify like others because I was already panicking.

Asides from paying taxes I really need a break from any form of the government offices.

I guess I overreacted my bad!!!