+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are recent tax returns neccesary to qualify to sponsor

microwave

Jul 1, 2007
Hello,

I have lived outside of Canada (In Japan) for a year and a half. I was working there and making income. My wife (Japanese) recently got married here in Canada and want to start the PR application process as soon as possible. I know we have to wait at least another 4- 6 weeks for our marriage to be registered before we can get our Marriage Certificate, and she must get her police certificates from Japan as well as Canada (she lived here previously) and the time frame for that is about 4-6 weeks as well.

The one thing I'm not sure whether I need or not is my recent tax assesment. I have not filed my taxes for the two years I was away from Canada. I will be filling it out this week, but I'm not sure how long it will take to process and send back to me. Also because my income was from out of country and I am putting money into RRSP's for the first time, I want to take my time to do my taxes properly. However, I would like to send in my application to sponsor and my wife's application for PR asap. Is the tax assesment necessary? Is it used to judge income proving that I can support her? Or is it necessary for other reasons?

If someone could give me their experiences or expertise it would be really appreciated. Thank you.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I think tax information is just one way of proving that you have enough income to support your spouse. If you have some other way of proving that you have enough income - like your pay stubs - that should also be ok.

Zhu

May 30, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
You don't have to prove that you have enough income to support your wife. There's not minimum income for spouse sponsorship (only for parents sponsorship). I'm 100% positive cause I went through the process...

Anyway, I don't think it matters, taxes or not. The only thing I can think of is you'll have to prove that you're gonna to come back in Canada for good. I remember there were a question about that in the application. So you might want to show that you have a place to live in Canada, why you were abroad etc.

microwave

Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I'm already back in Canada and definitely going to stay. I have a job so I will definitely show my pay slips or whatever information I need to. I'm also going to call them (if I can actually get through, tried about 30 times unsuccesfully so far) and find out what they have to say as well. thanks again for all your help. Any other experiences or advice is also welcome. thanks again.

cmk2

Oct 3, 2006
Not so fast guys.. Check your Document Check List sheet for the SPONSOR (IMM 5491) and you will see that #17 requires an original "Option C Printout" of your last Notice of Assessment for the most recent taxation year and if you don't have one handy, you must call Revenue Canada to get a copy. If you do not provide one you must provide an explanation.

#18 is where you are requested to provide a letter of employment.

So having said that, in response to Microwave's question as to whether this is important, I think it is since they are asking for it under #17 and you are going to miss this document.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
I got the same problem, I am a PR,have been working outside Canada for nearly two years without filling tax return and going to sponsor my husband. Some say I can file the tax return anytime but only get the tax assessment until tax season (Feb. 2012 is the earliest time)is that true???but we really need to submit the application ASAP because he's in China and I am in Canada now. Can we submit the application first, like now(to get a file number first) and will submit the tax assessment later when I get it??? Thanks for the reply!

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you do not have Option C printout just write a letter as to why its ommitted and provide maybe a couple of pay stubs to show you are working basically they want to make sure you are not in receipt of welfare to sposnor

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks a lot for the info. Kedeisha!
I paid tax in the country where I worked and had the tax slip issued by the local tax bureau, I guess that tax slip plus our own explanation letter will fulfill the option C printout, and later we can submit the tax assessment from CRA when tax season arrives, am I on the right track? :D Thanks!!