+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are people actually finding jobs as fresh graduates with PGWP?

Maria28

Sep 21, 2020
I have been looking for a job that can help me get into one of the NOC B class so that I can work towards getting my 1 year experience but i have been applying for the past 6 months and literally no one is hiring for even entry level jobs (on top of that asking for 2-3 years of work experience). As an international student who did a degree in Communication in 2020, I really dont understand how I can fulfill these requirements or even crack into the job marker. I know COVID has messed everything up but is this just me or is anyone else is going through the same thing? If not then any advice?

Reactions: meister

Devinlok29

Oct 29, 2020
Same boat here. It feels i'm being passed just because i haven't had a full-time job yet i did 2 internships. It's hard out there, especially for people in Marketing and Sales. I know some of my former coworkers got laid off due to COVID. Keep applying and look out for other opportunities

Maria28

Sep 21, 2020
Same boat here. It feels i'm being passed just because i haven't had a full-time job yet i did 2 internships. It's hard out there, especially for people in Marketing and Sales. I know some of my former coworkers got laid off due to COVID. Keep applying and look out for other opportunities
That really sucks how else are we suppose to get experience then ?=( Yes I know a lot of people that got laid off too and im really wanting to make the most of whats lefot of my PGWP but at this rate getting 1 year of full time experience in a Skilled job seems unrealistic. Thank you and good luck on your job hunt!

Reactions: Devinlok29

Fanta91

May 12, 2020
Hey Guys chin up I was in your situation and found somthing eventually. I am currently on my 3rd Year of PGWP after graduating working in Marketing l.
1. Don't take Job description too seriously, yes they are asking for previous experience and say you need a minimum of 2-3 year of experince but that doesn't mean you cant get it if you don't have it 2. A lot of requirement are wants not needs unless its a very specific hardskill like e.g. needs to be able to programm blablabla
3.looking back I didn't apply To so many jobs because I thought I don't have the requirements they are asking for but now I can tell you if it says 2years experince just consider it entry level and be confident.
4. If you feel like you can do the majority of the core function of the jobs then apply. It's ok if uou don't have 1 or 2 just sell yourselfe in the interview and show them that although you don't have A or B it's no peoblem for you andyou will do your best
E.g. the first one that I applied for and got asked for experince in CRM now i didn't even know what that was but i felt that the rest of the job i could do no problem so i applied and on the interview I was honest (of course I did my reserch before the interview) I told them i do not have experince however I am confident in learning new softwares and systems as I have done so in the past with other jobs. Every job gives you training before youstart so even if you don't know somthing you will learn.
6. Ask your network for suggestions or Call smaller companies and ask to speak to the HR manager and ask of any position in Marketing/Sales/Communication is available ..

Maria28

Sep 21, 2020
Hey Guys chin up I was in your situation and found somthing eventually. I am currently on my 3rd Year of PGWP after graduating working in Marketing l.
1. Don't take Job description too seriously, yes they are asking for previous experience and say you need a minimum of 2-3 year of experince but that doesn't mean you cant get it if you don't have it 2. A lot of requirement are wants not needs unless its a very specific hardskill like e.g. needs to be able to programm blablabla
3.looking back I didn't apply To so many jobs because I thought I don't have the requirements they are asking for but now I can tell you if it says 2years experince just consider it entry level and be confident.
4. If you feel like you can do the majority of the core function of the jobs then apply. It's ok if uou don't have 1 or 2 just sell yourselfe in the interview and show them that although you don't have A or B it's no peoblem for you andyou will do your best
E.g. the first one that I applied for and got asked for experince in CRM now i didn't even know what that was but i felt that the rest of the job i could do no problem so i applied and on the interview I was honest (of course I did my reserch before the interview) I told them i do not have experince however I am confident in learning new softwares and systems as I have done so in the past with other jobs. Every job gives you training before youstart so even if you don't know somthing you will learn.
6. Ask your network for suggestions or Call smaller companies and ask to speak to the HR manager and ask of any position in Marketing/Sales/Communication is available ..
You sir/madam are a legend! Thank you so much. This has been very informative and gives a lot of hope. Honestly of COVID was not going on I know it wouldve been MUCH easier to land a job and build my experience at the very least but right now the sheer amount of applicants on every job is just astounding. I interviewd at a very basic call centre'ish type job that required no experience and was actively hiring but I didnt get it so I asked the recruiter an estimate of how many people applied for the job and she told me 2000+! I will follow your advice and hopefully, something works out. Thank you again for this. Also, one question, are you planning on transitioning to an open work permit (or whatever its called) after your 3 year permit expires? Or you've secured your 1560 hours in a skilled job? (Just asking for information's sake you dont have to answer if you dont want to) =)

Reactions: Shamii

lalunejoyce

Oct 8, 2020
I have been looking for a job that can help me get into one of the NOC B class so that I can work towards getting my 1 year experience but i have been applying for the past 6 months and literally no one is hiring for even entry level jobs (on top of that asking for 2-3 years of work experience). As an international student who did a degree in Communication in 2020, I really dont understand how I can fulfill these requirements or even crack into the job marker. I know COVID has messed everything up but is this just me or is anyone else is going through the same thing? If not then any advice?
Where are you living? I'm on the same boat here. Been so upset about myself. I wonder if there is anything wrong with my resume, I checked it with the employment career services of my university and they said my resume was great, nothing to add on. But still, I didn't hear anything back from any recruiters for the past 3 months. My career path is also Media/Communications/Marketing.

Maria28

Sep 21, 2020
Where are you living? I'm on the same boat here. Been so upset about myself. I wonder if there is anything wrong with my resume, I checked it with the employment career services of my university and they said my resume was great, nothing to add on. But still, I didn't hear anything back from any recruiters for the past 3 months. My career path is also Media/Communications/Marketing.
I am living in BC at the moment. I know what you mean I got my resume examined many times too but I am finally at a point where I know the resume format or keywords etc arent the issue. I dont think its even a career path problem considering I have applied for all kinds of jobs out there and either I am overqualified so places wont even reply (meaning some companies dont want to hire someone who would jump the next best opportunity as a fresh graduate to build experience) or I am underqualified because I dont have canadian full time experience. Understandably its too competitive out there for each job I try there are HUNDREDS even thousands of applicants lined up because there just arent enough open positions out there. Honestly just keep applying, thats what I am doing at this point any employement opportunity would do for anyone and dont be down on yourself because it really is bad overall out there. :(

Drumheller2

Nov 13, 2020
You're not the only one. I know of a lot of people with PGWP who are struggling or struggled to find their first job out of
college.

Covid must've made this a lot worse. I hope your work permit can be extended because of covid to make it a bit easier for you.

Maria28

Sep 21, 2020
You're not the only one. I know of a lot of people with PGWP who are struggling or struggled to find their first job out of
college.

Covid must've made this a lot worse. I hope your work permit can be extended because of covid to make it a bit easier for you.
Thank you for your kind words.
I think knowing that there are other people out there going through the same thing makes it a little bit easier because then there is something that can be done about this. Like you said hopefully we can get our permits extended or any kind of program is introduced if this is recognized as a legitimate issue being faced by alot of PGWP holders.

james_saudade

Jul 6, 2020
COVID is certainly not helping at this time. But .. a good resume matters a lot .in job search

my resume is fine but i suck at interviews :confused:

I hope CIC would take pandemic into consideration for your guys too.

Original

Nov 19, 2020
This does not make sense. If "literally no one is hiring", what positions have you been applying for? Clearly there must be something listed that you are applying for. There may be many reasons why you are not getting the job you want, but we would need to know more details about what you have been doing.

If you're not getting your dream job, consider a change of strategy. Your time on PGWP is limited, so use it wisely.

McDonald's and Tim Hortons are always hiring. Apply to every major fast food chain for any position you can find. In the interview, clearly state that your goal is to get fast-track training to become a supervisor. Even if you have zero experience and no connections, you can become a NOC B supervisor in a couple months or faster if you learn everything.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This does not make sense. If "literally no one is hiring", what positions have you been applying for? Clearly there must be something listed that you are applying for. There may be many reasons why you are not getting the job you want, but we would need to know more details about what you have been doing.

If you're not getting your dream job, consider a change of strategy. Your time on PGWP is limited, so use it wisely.

McDonald's and Tim Hortons are always hiring. Apply to every major fast food chain for any position you can find. In the interview, clearly state that your goal is to get fast-track training to become a supervisor. Even if you have zero experience and no connections, you can become a NOC B supervisor in a couple months or faster if you learn everything.
Most restaurants are not hiring. If anything I would apply for amazon but that's not noc B.