+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are our Supporting Documents strong enough? Proof of relationship/intent to move to Canada/income

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Hello,

My common-law partner and I are applying Outland with No Dependents. So far I feel very confident about our application but I have a few concerns I'd like some feedback on.

First, for our proof of relationship for Part A) I have included:
-Our rental agreement showing both names on the lease for the place we have lived together for the past 14 months and our agreement to extend for another 10 months
-A copy of our electricity bill showing one of us as the main person and the other as the "secondary person"
-A bank statement from a joint bank account we have
-A copy of our driver's licences with our address on them
-Pay stubs for both of us at our address
-Copies of both of our car insurance statements listed the other person as a secondary insured person
-Tax declaration forms showing us as common-law

For Part C) I have included:
-20 photos since the beginning of our relationship
-Copies of both of our Superannuation funds (pension) showing each other as beneficiaries
-A copy of my recent travel insurance with him as a beneficiary
-A copy of our car registration showing joint ownership
-3 notarized letters from friends/family that we are in a committed/public relationship

Is this enough? Although we are living together now, I was going to submit Skype/iMessage conversations from before we were living together as well as plane tickets from trips together, and some social media screenshots of us in a public relationship, is this recommended or would it be unnecessary extras likely to annoy an officer? My main concern is that we've only been living together for 14 months and only dated for 9 months before living together, and most of the dating was long distance so I just want to make sure our relationship is taken seriously.
Regarding the joint finances/joint bank account, we don't really use the joint account for much, would this be a problem? We take turns buying groceries and we split all other bills by just paying each other back. Would they look into this and consider it not enough for joint expenses?

Second - Proof that you will live in Canada
Because we are outland, we have to show our intent to move back to Canada. All I have right now is a notarized letter that I wrote saying that we decided on Canada because we miss the lifestyle and our friends and my family and we want to have our kids there, as well as my workplace has allowed me to take a temporary leave from them so I'd definitely have a job when I go back, and my CLP preferred the job he had in Canada on his WHV over his job now in Australia and he thinks he can easily get that old job back. I also have a notarized letter from my parents saying they'd let us stay with them to support us. I also attached a copy of the email my work sent saying I was granted a leave. Is this enough intent?

Third - Employment/Source of Support
Again, we are outland so we just have to show how I plan to support my CLP. My main concern here is the fact that I have worked a lot of different places over the past few years and just had casual positions while in Australia so I don't have a lot of savings, but my CLP has a bit more than me and he can easily provide support for not just himself but also for me. So all I've written is a notarized statement saying that I will have work when I return to Canada and that my CLP has good saving and I've attached a copy of my bank statement showing my savings. I also wrote about how my parents are willing to help us out. Will this be enough? I know there is no minimum amount you need to have to sponsor if you have no dependants but I have a worry they could still decline me? We don't have any debts or ever received any social assistance etc.

Finally,
We are hoping to apply at the end of January because I am currently on a WHV in Australia that is set to expire in November, meaning I will have to go back to Canada while he waits for approval on the visa. We have included this information in the application but do I have to update that information when I do move? At that point it will also mean that we won't be living together anymore so will we have to send in more information on how we communicate and remain in contact etc?

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions!

Reactions: bahar.april

Arctic Circle

Dec 16, 2017
From the breakdown, and from what I've seen combing through this form and looking at cases of people who got approved, you've got a pretty strong application. For the joint expenses, you have a lot of solid evidence. With the joint bank account, do you both regularly contribute money to it? That will show you both are covering expenses. If you're still worried about it, it never goes amiss to include a note of explanation about how you and your partner split expenses, just like you did here.

With intent to move back to Canada, I'll be going through a similar process soon, and from reading other threads, I think you need a bit more proof. Most likely, they will ask you for more documents about proof to return to Canada, as I've seen happen to others in similar threads. The letter from your parents about financial support and the email from your job is a good start. Some suggestions I've seen in other threads by Canadians who got approved:

-Depending on the province you're returning to, you might not have health insurance right away, like Ontario. Get in touch with a private insurance company like Blue Cross or whoever, get a quote for the 3 or so months you'll be waiting to get re-enrolled in the health system.
-Provide screenshots of you searching for return flights and rental/house buying. Of course the VO understands you won't be able to buy or rent property until you have PR approved, but showing that you're doing intense research in your desired area is another layer of evidence
-Get your job to email you a detailed list of salary, when you'll start, hours per week etc. That'll strengthen your case
-Get some letters from friends saying they know of your intent to return, you have discussed it with them, it shows you are serious about this. If you have any private message screenshots discussing this to attach with the letters, that would also help
-Are you planning on bringing items other than clothes back to Canada? Stuff like couches, tables, chairs, beds etc? Get in touch with a moving company and get a quote and attach that to your application.
-I've seen others do this. Write a detailed "game plan" of what you and your partner intend to do once PR is approved. Stuff like getting them a SIN, a bank account, a driver's license, helping them get a job, buying a car. Be as detailed and realistic as possible.

Keep in mind, I'm going through this process myself, I haven't been approved at all. This is all just based off things I've seen doing my own research in other threads, and what we intend to put in our application. Otherwise, I think you guys have as strong of a case as other successful applicants I've seen on here and I don't think you'll have any trouble. I hope that helps, good luck!!

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
From the breakdown, and from what I've seen combing through this form and looking at cases of people who got approved, you've got a pretty strong application. For the joint expenses, you have a lot of solid evidence. With the joint bank account, do you both regularly contribute money to it? That will show you both are covering expenses. If you're still worried about it, it never goes amiss to include a note of explanation about how you and your partner split expenses, just like you did here.

With intent to move back to Canada, I'll be going through a similar process soon, and from reading other threads, I think you need a bit more proof. Most likely, they will ask you for more documents about proof to return to Canada, as I've seen happen to others in similar threads. The letter from your parents about financial support and the email from your job is a good start. Some suggestions I've seen in other threads by Canadians who got approved:

-Depending on the province you're returning to, you might not have health insurance right away, like Ontario. Get in touch with a private insurance company like Blue Cross or whoever, get a quote for the 3 or so months you'll be waiting to get re-enrolled in the health system.
-Provide screenshots of you searching for return flights and rental/house buying. Of course the VO understands you won't be able to buy or rent property until you have PR approved, but showing that you're doing intense research in your desired area is another layer of evidence
-Get your job to email you a detailed list of salary, when you'll start, hours per week etc. That'll strengthen your case
-Get some letters from friends saying they know of your intent to return, you have discussed it with them, it shows you are serious about this. If you have any private message screenshots discussing this to attach with the letters, that would also help
-Are you planning on bringing items other than clothes back to Canada? Stuff like couches, tables, chairs, beds etc? Get in touch with a moving company and get a quote and attach that to your application.
-I've seen others do this. Write a detailed "game plan" of what you and your partner intend to do once PR is approved. Stuff like getting them a SIN, a bank account, a driver's license, helping them get a job, buying a car. Be as detailed and realistic as possible.

Keep in mind, I'm going through this process myself, I haven't been approved at all. This is all just based off things I've seen doing my own research in other threads, and what we intend to put in our application. Otherwise, I think you guys have as strong of a case as other successful applicants I've seen on here and I don't think you'll have any trouble. I hope that helps, good luck!!
Thanks so much for your response! It's tough trying to know what's going to be enough evidence. We really don't want to have any reason to be delayed as I said before, my visa is running out in Australia so I'll have to go back to Canada in November regardless of my CLP's visa approval which will suck if his visa takes a long time! We're hoping if it takes the suggested time (12 months) we'll only be apart for 2 months. So I've attached a copy of the visa showing an expiry date as well so I'm hoping that shows intent. We've thought about doing an overseas trip right before I go back but we're also afraid he might get a passport request around that time so I haven't been able to look seriously into flights yet. We don't have any stuff here that we'll be bringing back other than clothes and we'll be going to BC and I've still been covered by MSP while I've been away. Also, my partner has lived in Canada for 2 years on a WHV so he's already got a SIN and driver's licence and we've tried to highlight that in the letter. As well as that his old workplace has said they'd try to get him back if they can. I haven't got much in terms of messages from friends because we did just visit Canada and told people in person what we were doing.

About the letter from my work, my old job was really casual and I was actually working two jobs at the time before I left so I'm worried that it might actually work against me to get a letter saying I only worked like 1 day a week? The other job, which was my main income, has said they would be happy to have me back but they can't put anything in writing. Is it still worth it to include the statement from the part-time job? I'm now thinking that if I don't, the officer will ask for it anyway?

Arctic Circle

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks so much for your response! It's tough trying to know what's going to be enough evidence. We really don't want to have any reason to be delayed as I said before, my visa is running out in Australia so I'll have to go back to Canada in November regardless of my CLP's visa approval which will suck if his visa takes a long time! We're hoping if it takes the suggested time (12 months) we'll only be apart for 2 months. So I've attached a copy of the visa showing an expiry date as well so I'm hoping that shows intent. We've thought about doing an overseas trip right before I go back but we're also afraid he might get a passport request around that time so I haven't been able to look seriously into flights yet. We don't have any stuff here that we'll be bringing back other than clothes and we'll be going to BC and I've still been covered by MSP while I've been away. Also, my partner has lived in Canada for 2 years on a WHV so he's already got a SIN and driver's licence and we've tried to highlight that in the letter. As well as that his old workplace has said they'd try to get him back if they can. I haven't got much in terms of messages from friends because we did just visit Canada and told people in person what we were doing.

About the letter from my work, my old job was really casual and I was actually working two jobs at the time before I left so I'm worried that it might actually work against me to get a letter saying I only worked like 1 day a week? The other job, which was my main income, has said they would be happy to have me back but they can't put anything in writing. Is it still worth it to include the statement from the part-time job? I'm now thinking that if I don't, the officer will ask for it anyway?
In my opinion, including the letter would still help with your intent to move back. A casual part-time job is better than no job, it shows you have something to go back to and get your foot in the door on the job market again. Any veteran members who disagree can definitely chime in here, but I think that letter from your job will only help your case.

As for the other stuff, the visa's expiration certainly helps, but alone it's not enough. From what I've seen on these forums, IRCC really wants good solid proof you are moving back. You can still show screenshots of looking for flights, especially around the time your visa expires, without having to book anything. Alternatively, if you want to wait on the flights, you can include flight bookings closer to your move home date; IRCC might ask for additional proof in a few months and that's when you could provide flight info.

As for other things you could do to show intent, since you already have health coverage and the like, is show how you are cutting ties in Australia. A letter of resignation at your job, selling any items you won't take with you, anything else you need to do to get out of the Aussie system. Those things can also work to strengthen your case that you are serious about moving back to Canada. I know it's difficult, especially since you'll be in Australia for most of 2018, but these are just some suggestions. Of course, if you submit your application as is, know that IRCC most likely will ask in a couple months for more proof, and that's maybe when you can provide more concrete evidence. Regardless, unlike some other members, your visa IS going to run out, so you're going back to Canada one way or another, so you might as well try to use that your full advantage. Good luck!!

oconnor87

Jul 7, 2018
Hey all! We just received medical request today along with a note about additional documents stating we needs items such as sponsors evidence to establish themselves in Canada from rental agreement, job offer, employment contract, letter of invitation etc.

With our application we submitted all of our messages to friends about waiting on visa and wanting to move, letter from family & friends supporting our move along with us previously reaching out to jobs about work.

My fiancé the sponsor is Canadian and we are living in the Caribbean, she has to give her work 3 months notice and wasn’t planning to do so until visa is approved. She does not own anything in Canada but of course we want to buy a house together one day there.

We are thinking of adding in; flight searches, purchasing home searches, quotes for healthcare & letter explaining our plan.

Any suggestions besides adding in another letter for supporting documents?

Jan 14, 2017
I am working my way through checklist 5589 to sponsor my common-law partner inland. On page 9 where it mentions additional proof that the relationship is recognized by friends and family, all it says is (e.g. letters from friends/family). It does not mention anything about the requirement to notarize them. However, I keep reading old posts on this website from 2016 or earlier which state that two notarized letters are required for common-law sponsorship. Does anyone know if the rules have been changed since 2016? Because it appears to me that two notarized letters are no longer mandatory...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am working my way through checklist 5589 to sponsor my common-law partner inland. On page 9 where it mentions additional proof that the relationship is recognized by friends and family, all it says is (e.g. letters from friends/family). It does not mention anything about the requirement to notarize them. However, I keep reading old posts on this website from 2016 or earlier which state that two notarized letters are required for common-law sponsorship. Does anyone know if the rules have been changed since 2016? Because it appears to me that two notarized letters are no longer mandatory...
If the letters needed to be notarized, it would be stated on the checklist. Don't read old posts about what to submit, as the app has changed significantly.