+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are loan receivables post landing taxable?

merags

Dec 22, 2016
Hi all,
Recently received my PPR and planning to land in Mar 2018.

I wanted to get some feedback about my tax liabilities for a specific case.

I have lent some money to a relative who intends to repay it in monthly installments lasting till Dec 2019. Since this will be well beyond my landing date, would I be expected to pay tax on this?

If no, then what are the documents that CRA will expect me to provide?

Thanks

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Hi all,
Recently received my PPR and planning to land in Mar 2018.

I wanted to get some feedback about my tax liabilities for a specific case.

I have lent some money to a relative who intends to repay it in monthly installments lasting till Dec 2019. Since this will be well beyond my landing date, would I be expected to pay tax on this?

If no, then what are the documents that CRA will expect me to provide?

Thanks
If your relatives are paying you only what they owe you, and not any interest, you don't have to pay tax on what you receive.

CRA does not expect any documents per se, they are required only if there is an audit...

merags

Dec 22, 2016
If your relatives are paying you only what they owe you, and not any interest, you don't have to pay tax on what you receive.

CRA does not expect any documents per se, they are required only if there is an audit...
Thanks for your feedback. I am from India but work in the UAE--where my money is due. It might be difficult to get notarization and other legal work done once I leave. So I would like to be prepared with any documents that might be needed if I am audited by CRA in the future. I understand that it would be better to seek professional advise, but I do not know whom to approach in UAE..Most the companies that I called up only offer "I will help you get PR" services. Any advice or pointers would be helpful.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your feedback. I am from India but work in the UAE--where my money is due. It might be difficult to get notarization and other legal work done once I leave. So I would like to be prepared with any documents that might be needed if I am audited by CRA in the future. I understand that it would be better to seek professional advise, but I do not know whom to approach in UAE..Most the companies that I called up only offer "I will help you get PR" services. Any advice or pointers would be helpful.
Before your settlement in Canada, just make sure you have a written agreement with your relative showing the repayment installment dates and amount of money the relative owed you.