+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are international students in Canada allowed to work for a US company remotely?

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
Do we need any sponsorship to work as a Summer intern for a US company remotely in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does the US company have a Canadian presence? Can you work legally in the US? How will you get paid? Will you be an employee or are you working on contract?

Reactions: YVR123

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
Does the US company have a Canadian presence? Can you work legally in the US? How will you get paid? Will you be an employee or are you working on contract?
It doesn't have a Canadian presence and I am not legally authorized to work in the US. But I am not sure if I need to be legally authorized to work remotely. I will be an intern, not sure whether employee or contractor but I can ask them. They told me that they would be willing to help me with any paperwork/ authorization but I don't even know if I require authorization or not. Also, it's a paid internship.

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
Essentially you would then be self-employed and would be responsible for paying the taxes/deductions on your income.
I see. Basically my company (a Series E startup) said that they would be willing to do any authorization stuff for me but I need to tell them if I need it or not and if yes what kind of authorization. Should I tell them I don't need it if they let me work as an independent contractor?

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Yes, you can. I did work for a US based company as an international student in Canada. This was related to my phd research. Please consult your international student office for proper guidance as I remember I had to confirm some things then to ensure I was doing the right thing. I think it has to be 20 hours max pw.