+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are English/French natives non Canadian need a language proficiency test ?

Jessyjess

Mar 14, 2014
Hi, I am a native french international student doing a PhD in a Canadian University. I would like to know if somebody already got his PR without providing a French or English test language proficiency because his native language was English or French.
Thanks a lot.

Jessica

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Jessyjess said:
Hi, I am a native french international student doing a PhD in a Canadian University. I would like to know if somebody already got his PR without providing a French or English test language proficiency because his native language was English or French.
Thanks a lot.

Jessica
Hi, you may have already read this, but just wanted to point out in case you haven't.

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must include the results of one of the following language tests from a testing agency designated by CIC:

English

CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP – General test only)
IELTS: International English Language Testing System (General Training test only)
French

TEF: Test d’évaluation de français

Note. If you do not submit the results of your official language proficiency test with your application to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) your application will not be processed and will be returned to you as incomplete.

More details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp

I believe that even if you are a native speaker, you still need to demonstrate language ability. I have come across natives from UK, who took IELTS even though they are native English speakers.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I personally know UK "born and bred" natives who speak "english" that would not stand a chance of passing IELTS..
They are functional illiterates...

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
I personally know UK "born and bred" natives who speak "english" that would not stand a chance of passing IELTS..
They are functional illiterates...
That's exactly the reason why CIC mandates these tests. No offense to anyone.

Mitali