+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are domestic flights banned inside the province for permanent residents who arrived from foreign countries?

Apr 5, 2020
Hello, everyone.
I am a Canadian permanent resident.
i am currently outside Canada but i am scheduled to fly back to Canada (Victoria BC via Vancouver with Air Canada) finally in a week.

Problem is i found accommodation to stay long term in Victoria, but i just realized that i might be stuck in Vancouver due to the quarantine Act. i don’t have a place to stay for isolate myself for 2 weeks in Vancouver tho.

I have been browsing the internet to get more info regarding this, and according to what i have found by far is if i have a plan for self-isolation, i can go home otherwise i will be put in a hotel nearby to isolate myself for 2 weeks in Vancouver.

Are domestic fights banned inside the province at the moment?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
a. If you are entering Canada, you have to self isolate for 2 weeks. You can fly directly to your final destination but landing at a place and then taking flight after few days has risk of exposing all the folks who come in contact with you.
b. There is no different treatment for residents or citizens on this account

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello, everyone.
i am currently outside Canada but i am scheduled to fly back to Canada (Victoria BC via Vancouver with Air Canada) finally in a week.

Problem is i found accommodation to stay long term in Victoria, but i just realized that i might be stuck in Vancouver due to the quarantine Act. i don’t have a place to stay for isolate myself for 2 weeks in Vancouver tho.

I have been browsing the internet to get more info regarding this, and according to what i have found by far is if i have a plan for self-isolation, i can go home otherwise i will be put in a hotel nearby to isolate myself for 2 weeks in Vancouver.

You can fly to Vancouver and transit onto a domestic flight anywhere in Canada same day to head for your isolation destination.

Where the guidance is not clear is whether you can arrive one day and transit out following day or in the case of Victoria whether by ferry if even same day as international arrival given the public transport usage. Seems doubtful given puts the isolation plan in doubt as far as potential for public exposure

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hello, everyone.

I asked this question to CBSA and federal Covid hotline last week. Their answer: if you do not show symptoms upon landing in Canada, you are allowed to take a domestic flight and proceed directly to your quarantine destination.
At the airports, they apparently check temperatures now and do visual check and questionnaire on self-serve kiosks. If you show symptoms, or you do not have a suitable place to self-isolate, then you will be asked to stay at the federal quarantine hotel, and the meals will be provided for free.
If you have the self-isolation place where you can stay away from others (no grandpa or cancer patient in the next room) and are healthy, there should be no problem. My family just made the trip USA-Toronto-Calgary without any problems.
UPD: i would check if you can take a cab to your self-isolation place or if you need to arrange a fully private transportation (e.g. someone not taxi or Uber to pick you up). This varies from province to province.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can I stay 14 day quarantine in a hotel?
no reason why not as long as you work out how to get food delivered to your room and have no plan to use any facilities in the hotel such as a restaurant . A hotel with rooms that have a microwave and refrigerator might be an idea.

Most people go for a self contained Airbnb though.