+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

April 20 - Citizenshp application - Change of name before or after citizenship application

syadav8

Apr 7, 2020
Hello there,

I am in the process of filing my citizenship application process. I checked my eligibility and i do qualify.

But I have few questions, if i could please get some help on it.

1. I recently got married and my marriage certificate name uses my spouse surname but i did not get my documents like my provincial card or passport or any other document with that name. I am confused as to whether do i need to mention this name change in my application process. if so, i don't have any id proof with the new surname. Because of the Covid2019 situation, i am not able to get my marriage certificate changed either. What would be the recommendation in this case. All my id documents still use my old surname.

2. There was a gap of 4 days between the expiry of my old passport and renewal of it. Would this be an issue in the assessment of my application.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

rianlam

Star Member
May 16, 2017
1. You do have to mention the last name in your marriage certificate. So in the form, they have the part that "all the names you used", just please put it in there and submit the copy of your marriage certificate along to support that part.
2. I do not think it's really a problem, hope someone more experience in that help you out!

syadav8

Apr 7, 2020
1. You do have to mention the last name in your marriage certificate. So in the form, they have the part that "all the names you used", just please put it in there and submit the copy of your marriage certificate along to support that part.
2. I do not think it's really a problem, hope someone more experience in that help you out!
Thanks very much for your response! Appreciate it.

I can certainly attach the marriage certificate but I am not sure if this would necessitate for me to change my name in the passport, pr card or other id documents and have those documents reflect my spouse's last name as it is mentioned in the marriage certificate. I mean all my id proofs don't have the new surname reflected on them.

rianlam

Star Member
May 16, 2017
i think later on you have to update all your legal documents. the process of legal name change can be found on Service Ontario.

syadav8

Apr 7, 2020
Thanks very much! I understand that I would need to update my legal documents. But what I was wondering is if I need to do it at this time, before filing my application. I am also applying for my spouse PR application. so, I am not sure if any change made on my legal documents would impact his application as well since I might need to update that application too.

That is why I was wanting to wait for his application to receive a decision after which I could update my documents or at some point later in time if I can defer that. not sure how much sense am I making but all I intend to do is filing this applications and be processed in parallel if I could.