+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved for eCOPR while travelling

kimmigrants

Mar 20, 2022
Hi folks. I received my PR portal credentials + submitted my photo, declared I am currently in Canada, and confirmed my address today. I am now waiting for my eCOPR & PR card.

I have international travel booked to Europe from June 11 to June 28. Flying in and out. Was planning to re-enter using my current temporary work permit, but chances are that I will be confirmed for eCOPR just before my trip or when abroad. And becoming a PR while abroad would make my current work permit invalid. Since my trip is in two weeks, there is close to no chance I’d receive my PR card before I take off.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Would love to hear how you handled the situation.

An officer at IRCC advised me to apply for a PR travel permit when abroad, but these things take way more time than my short trip would allow. I have also heard that I could potentially fly into the US and cross the border in a private vehicle with just the eCOPR in my pocket. Is this true?

My timeline:
CEC, EE, inland
AOR - July 30, 2021
Portal invitation - May 25, 2022
Portal credentials - May 27, 2022
Photo, etc. submitted - May 27, 2022
eCOPR received - ?
PR card received - ?

Reactions: deeep0810

kimmigrants

Mar 20, 2022
I am in a similar situation. What did you end up doing?
I changed my return flight to land in the US instead of Canada, rented a car, and drove across the border. I used my European passport and my eCOPR document, and everything went extremely smoothly. Seemed like a very standard procedure.

I just received my PR card yesterday (Aug 11). The accompanying paperwork actually literally says that the PR card is necessary for entering the country via a ‘commercial’ carrier

YCR7

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
I changed my return flight to land in the US instead of Canada, rented a car, and drove across the border. I used my European passport and my eCOPR document, and everything went extremely smoothly. Seemed like a very standard procedure.

I just received my PR card yesterday (Aug 11). The accompanying paperwork actually literally says that the PR card is necessary for entering the country via a ‘commercial’ carrier
Hey I’m in the same situation. Submitted my photo and waiting for eCopr and Pr card.
I’m in Canada right now
I have to travel to USA using land border.
Can I re enter using eCopr?( if I get one while I’m in USA?)

Takita

May 12, 2021

Did you have US B1/B2 visa to land in USA?

What questions were asked during US Customs/Immigration?

kimmigrants

Mar 20, 2022
Did you have US B1/B2 visa to land in USA?

What questions were asked during US Customs/Immigration?
My passport allows me to enter US as a tourist without a visa (Visa Waiver Program) - I’d just look up what visa you require for the US travel based on your citizenship and follow that procedure.

I feel like the US customs just asked me about my reason for visit (I think I said tourism/small detour before I return to Canada). Very smooth. Before boarding a flight to the US though, they did ask me about my Canadian visa situation as well, which was a bit unexpected but makes sense (US wouldn’t like me to be stuck in the US I guess). I actually showed my work permit in response and didn’t get into the detail with having received the eCOPR or any of that. That worked for them.

Reactions: Takita

Takita

May 12, 2021
My passport allows me to enter US as a tourist without a visa (Visa Waiver Program) - I’d just look up what visa you require for the US travel based on your citizenship and follow that procedure.

I feel like the US customs just asked me about my reason for visit (I think I said tourism/small detour before I return to Canada). Very smooth. Before boarding a flight to the US though, they did ask me about my Canadian visa situation as well, which was a bit unexpected but makes sense (US wouldn’t like me to be stuck in the US I guess). I actually showed my work permit in response and didn’t get into the detail with having received the eCOPR or any of that. That worked for them.
I have US B1/B2 visa so I guess won't have any problems. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yajermino

Jan 17, 2023
Hi folks. I received my PR portal credentials + submitted my photo, declared I am currently in Canada, and confirmed my address today. I am now waiting for my eCOPR & PR card.

I have international travel booked to Europe from June 11 to June 28. Flying in and out. Was planning to re-enter using my current temporary work permit, but chances are that I will be confirmed for eCOPR just before my trip or when abroad. And becoming a PR while abroad would make my current work permit invalid. Since my trip is in two weeks, there is close to no chance I’d receive my PR card before I take off.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Would love to hear how you handled the situation.

An officer at IRCC advised me to apply for a PR travel permit when abroad, but these things take way more time than my short trip would allow. I have also heard that I could potentially fly into the US and cross the border in a private vehicle with just the eCOPR in my pocket. Is this true?

My timeline:
CEC, EE, inland
AOR - July 30, 2021
eCOPR received - ?
PR card received - ?
Hi! Did you actually received your ECOPR before leaving Canada or you received it while you're outside Canada?
another question is did you just print the ECOPR and showed it to the officer in the Border? Thank you!

kimmigrants

Mar 20, 2022
Hi! Did you actually received your ECOPR before leaving Canada or you received it while you're outside Canada?
another question is did you just print the ECOPR and showed it to the officer in the Border? Thank you!
Hey! I received my eCOPR in Canada, just a few days before leaving the country. I just printed it, signed it (I think it asked for that) and showed it to the officer at the border.

Yajermino

Jan 17, 2023
Thank you! Can I ask how much did you pay to rent a car in the US to Canada? Did you go to buffalo airport?

kimmigrants

Mar 20, 2022
Thank you! Can I ask how much did you pay to rent a car in the US to Canada? Did you go to buffalo airport?
Np! I flew to Boston because I needed to get to Nova Scotia, so it was a longer drive (picked the rental up in Boston and dropped it off in Halifax). Can’t really speak to Buffalo, but sounds like a great option if you’re heading to Toronto. I used Avis Car Rental and I’d recommend 10/10.

niz_fathi

Nov 14, 2018
Hi,
My husband works in the US. We got a request to land virtually. After confirming the address and uploading photos in the portal, Can he travel outside canada if he hasn’t received his eCOPR? Currently eCOPR takes around 3 months. Any help will be appreciated.

Shiva_0786

Feb 5, 2023

My timeline:
CEC, EE, inland
AOR - July 30, 2021
eCOPR received - ?
PR card received - ?
Hello i have submitted my photo and address on the portal on 22nd Jan . I am waiting for my ecopr and i want to leave the country urgently i dont have a valid status right now. I was wondering if i can receive the eCopr while outside canada because i declared already that i am inside canada and when i get the eCOPR i can apply for PRTD outside canada to travel back.My concern is can immigration refuse my ecopr if they find out i left canada after declaring that i an in canada?