+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appointment with CBSA officer at border

Priya34

Sep 6, 2018
Hi

I went to border to get closed work permit but officer refused me saying i need to bring some tax documents from my employer. He sezuie my passport and ask to come back on a specific date and time. Is this something i have to worry about

Priya34

Sep 6, 2018
Passports are generally seized when a person is considered an overstay risk or apply for asylum and is a serious matter. What is your status in Canada? You need to provide more information for anyone to be able to comment.
I m on visitor visa in Canada. I have got Lmia apporved by my employer. I m not over staying.

Priya34

Sep 6, 2018
Passports are generally seized when a person is considered an overstay risk or apply for asylum and is a serious matter. What is your status in Canada? You need to provide more information for anyone to be able to comment.
I have heard the document officer asked for are generally sent with the LMIA APPLICATION and officer dont have any concern about employer taxes and company papers. Can anyone tell me sometjing about this.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Of course they can

Foreign workers may be denied a work per- mit or entry into Canada at the port of entry if the Border Services officer believes that they do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Priya34

Sep 6, 2018
Of course they can

Foreign workers may be denied a work per- mit or entry into Canada at the port of entry if the Border Services officer believes that they do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
So do u think asking me to bring employer tax papers and sezuing my passport is seeioud matter

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It’s under the same premise when you file a tax return . On occasion you maybe requested to submit supporting documentation to support your claim after the fact .If everything is on the up and up , I don’t see a reason to be concerned.
It’s to ensure the integrity of the program and that everyone that goes this route in being issued a work permit is treated the same and fairly
Do not have an opinion about the seizure of the passport though
As a side note you haven’t indicated your current status in the country. You mentioned you aren’t overstaying, how long are you authorized to be in Canada ?

Last edited:

Priya34

Sep 6, 2018
It’s under the same premise when you file a tax return . On occasion you maybe requested to submit supporting documentation to support your claim after the fact .If everything is on the up and up , I don’t see a reason to be concerned.
It’s to ensure the integrity of the program and that everyone that goes this route in being issued a work permit is treated the same and fairly
Do not have an opinion about the seizure of the passport though
As a side note you haven’t indicated your current status in the country. You mentioned you aren’t overstaying, how long are you authorized to be in Canada ?
I entered canada on november 8 and have six months time to stay in canada. Is it not common to sezuire passport at the bordet

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I entered canada on november 8 and have six months time to stay in canada. Is it not common to sezuire passport at the bordet
Perhaps he simply wanted to make sure that you would return to complete the process.
Otherwise you could have just walked off and he would never see you again.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Perhaps he simply wanted to make sure that you would return to complete the process.
That’s probably true, because the o/p intention has now changed from originally just “visiting” to now showing they want to stay & work by actively searching for a job and going thru the LMIA process

Priya34

Sep 6, 2018
That's actually what i m thinking. I hope everything is ok

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
The border officer allowed her entry for further exam under A23 of the immigration and refugee protection act and gave her a date to return. If the officer asked for tax documents, they probably wanted to see if it was a bona fide business. When an officer does that, they seize the passport as a matter of practise and give it back when the person returns for their exam....unless they find discrepancies and find an inadmissiblity.