+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying work permit application at same time as LMIA

rana470

Jul 14, 2022
Hi,

I came here on closed work permit in Quebec and was recently laid off.
Now there is another company willing to hire me. They talked with the lawyer, and he has given them two choices.
1. Normal Way
They will apply for LMIA and then apply for work permit. This can take few months.

2. Fater way
They will apply for work permit right after applying for LMIA. The work permit application is incomplete without the LMIA being added to it. The lawyer will update the WP application when the LMIA is approved. In this way I can start working within few weeks. Since they give you a letter to start working once your WP application is submitted.
The only catch is that the visa officer can reject the WP application based on grounds that it was submitted incomplete. However, the lawyer says he will re apply if that happens.

The company wants me to take the faster approach.

What is your say about this ?
Has any one tried the 2nd approach.
How does one rejection affect my future PR etc.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

I came here on closed work permit in Quebec and was recently laid off.
Now there is another company willing to hire me. They talked with the lawyer, and he has given them two choices.
1. Normal Way
They will apply for LMIA and then apply for work permit. This can take few months.

2. Fater way
They will apply for work permit right after applying for LMIA. The work permit application is incomplete without the LMIA being added to it. The lawyer will update the WP application when the LMIA is approved. In this way I can start working within few weeks. Since they give you a letter to start working once your WP application is submitted.
The only catch is that the visa officer can reject the WP application based on grounds that it was submitted incomplete. However, the lawyer says he will re apply if that happens.

The company wants me to take the faster approach.

What is your say about this ?
Has any one tried the 2nd approach.
How does one rejection affect my future PR etc.
Your lawyer obviously failed ethics 101
And you as well by going along with this

rana470

Jul 14, 2022
Your lawyer obviously failed ethics 101
And you as well by going along with this
I didn't say I take second approach. Why did you assume that.
I was also wondering can the employer be changed on my existing work permit. Rather than following the above two routes

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I didn't say I take second approach. Why did you assume that.
I was also wondering can the employer be changed on my existing work permit. Rather than following the above two routes
Emloyer cannot be changed on a closed work permit. You need a new work permit.