+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying with expired passports

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Hi all. I have 2 expired passports within my 5-year eligibility period. The last one expired last May 2018. I did not renew as I have no plans of travelling outside Canada and my country's consulate here requires a valid PR card to renew, which I also do not have and did not renew for the same reason - no plans of travelling outside Canada. Questions:
1. I understand I need to present one photo ID since I had valid passports during my 5 years but I saw others' applications still being returned. Would Health card be OK as second ID? Just to be safe..
2. What should I write in my letter of explanation? A sample would really help please..

Hope someone helps me.. thank you. So worried now. I have 2weeks before I submit my application. ☹

silverduz

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No help??
Hi i submit my applications with the passports expired and its okay i think health card is not okay. you need other id with picture. health card is needed when in interview and oath taking

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Concur with @silverduz and what you stated, about not bothering to renew the passport given no plans to travel abroad, is sufficient to enter into Table B in item 14 as an explanation for the "gap" (from date of last passport's expiration to date of application).

silverduz

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Concur with @silverduz and what you stated, about not bothering to renew the passport given no plans to travel abroad, is sufficient to enter into Table B in item 14 as an explanation for the "gap" (from date of last passport's expiration to date of application).
as far as i understand and they did accept my application i dont need to explain the gap. as long as you indicate the travel you made within. as i said they accept my application either theres a gap or not on the passport. you must indicate all the travels within either expired passport or valid

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
as far as i understand and they did accept my application i dont need to explain the gap. as long as you indicate the travel you made within. as i said they accept my application either theres a gap or not on the passport. you must indicate all the travels within either expired passport or valid
Sorry about the confusing conjunction; second part of the sentence was specifically for @PHCA not you. I should have quoted @PHCA and stated:

I concur with @silverduz.

Additionally, what you [PHCA] stated, about not bothering to renew the passport given no plans to travel abroad, is sufficient to enter into Table B in item 14 as an explanation for the "gap" (from date of last passport's expiration to date of application).

That is, the part of my post about explaining the gap was for @PHCA. Since there is a gap, a period of time that @PHCA did not have a valid passport, that is between when the passport expired and the date of the application, the BEST approach is to explain why in Table B. Which, again, is as easy as stating what @PHCA says in the query: made no application for new passport because there is no plan to travel.

As for your experience, remember anecdotal experience ONLY indicates what can happen, based on at least that one time it did happen; does NOT necessarily illuminate what should happen or what will happen. Also note, many applicants make minor mistakes or minor omissions from what they should enter in the application without that causing a problem. And of course that does NOT mean that was the right way to approach things, let alone that doing so should be recommended.

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Sorry about the confusing conjunction; second part of the sentence was specifically for @PHCA not you. I should have quoted @PHCA and stated:

I concur with @silverduz.

Additionally, what you [PHCA] stated, about not bothering to renew the passport given no plans to travel abroad, is sufficient to enter into Table B in item 14 as an explanation for the "gap" (from date of last passport's expiration to date of application).

That is, the part of my post about explaining the gap was for @PHCA. Since there is a gap, a period of time that @PHCA did not have a valid passport, that is between when the passport expired and the date of the application, the BEST approach is to explain why in Table B. Which, again, is as easy as stating what @PHCA says in the query: made no application for new passport because there is no plan to travel.

As for your experience, remember anecdotal experience ONLY indicates what can happen, based on at least that one time it did happen; does NOT necessarily illuminate what should happen or what will happen. Also note, many applicants make minor mistakes or minor omissions from what they should enter in the application without that causing a problem. And of course that does NOT mean that was the right way to approach things, let alone that doing so should be recommended.
Thank you both! I only have drivers license as photo ID to submit. Hope they don't return my application if I only have that and my 2 expired passports..