+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying TRV Online- Have some questions.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hey,

I am applying for a TRV(Visitor Visa) online. I am applying this from inside Canada as I am worker here. After filling the application form and validated, do I need to print out the form and have it physically signed and then digitally scan for upload? or can I just upload the application and it gets virtually signed when uploading to cic?

Please advice.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
NVM. CIC guidelines was helpful enough.
Here are some guidelines for your documents:

Your form(s) and document(s) must be in an electronic format.
You do not need to sign your application form by hand if you submit your application form online. You will be asked to provide a digital signature once you are ready to transmit your documents to CIC.
One file will be allowed per document type. For example, if you are asked to provide multiple pages of your passport, you must scan and save all pages as one file.
You will be required to upload every requested form and document. You will not be able to proceed to the next steps until you upload every form/document.
A "help" feature provides you with more information about each form/document. The help text will appear below the list of documents.
The maximum size for each file is 4 MB (four megabytes). We accept these file formats:
PDF (Portable Document)
JPG, TIFF, or PNG (Image)
DOC or DOCX (Microsoft Word Document.
If your file is bigger than 4 MB, you should reduce the size. Here are some tips for making reducing your file size.

PDF format

Recreate the PDF with Adobe Distiller set to "lowest file size."
Ensure that all images in the PDF are set to 96 DPI (dots per inch).
Remove all unnecessary images.
JPG format

Scan your document at a lower DPI (dots per inch).
Remove all empty space around the image.
Shrink the image.
Reduce the JPG image quality.
TIFF and PNG format

Scan your document at a lower DPI (dots per inch).
Crop the image to remove any empty space around the image.
Shrink the image.
Save the file as a JPG format instead.
DOC and DOCX format

Remove unnecessary images, formatting and macros. Save the file as a recent Word version.
Reduce the file size of the images before they are inserted in the document.
If it is still too large, save the file as a PDF format.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Ok. I am slightly lost here.

I am a worker in Canada. My previous TRV expired on January 2016. I am applying for a new one because I have to travel soon. I am currently in Canada.

What application should I filled out?

Is it the IMM5257E(Application For Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) OR IMM5708(Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or a Temporary Resident Permit Holder)

I just forgot which one I used before. If memory serves me right- it is the IMM5257E

Please advice.

anton5000

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hello Codeguru, have you received any answer for this? I'm in the same situation. My original Visa expired back in 2013 and since then I extended my permits and now I have a working permit until 2017 but I need to get a new TRV. However when I go online, after filling the questionnaires, it won't give me the 5257E form to upload (as indicated on the "paper based" document checklist) but instead it's giving me the 5708 form which is an extension of permit or something.

Any advice about how to get the proper form online?

Thank you!

jags20_us

Oct 21, 2015
Hi,

If you have received your work permit extension and just need the Visa stamped on the passport fill in IMM5257E(Application For Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa)
If you are filling it paperbased There is a checklist available (IMM5721E) for applying TRV within canada.
Hope that helps