+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to Open Work Permit with the new Online Spousal Sponsorship application

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to submit an online spousal sponsorship application through the new online portal. I am wondering about the correct procedure to apply to the Open Work Permit, since the online application does not seem to have this option! Do I have to submit the OWP application separately, through CIC after submitting the sponsorship application? would this affect the processing time of wither applications? do you advise me to just go through the paper application rather than the online spousal application (since the former has the option of including both applications together!)

Thank you!

ello!

Nov 19, 2021
From what I have researched, if you are applying online then you have to wait to receive word to apply for the OWP online as well.

Source where I found this information:

Hit Submit & Canada - Open Work Permit

I had the same questions wondering if doing so would mean a delay on the OWP. We wanted to submit online as well, but because of the uncertainty surrounding timeframe on this it’ll probably be the old fashioned way.

We still are yet to submit so I will bump and follow this thread in case anyone else has more information on timelines!

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
From what I have researched, if you are applying online then you have to wait to receive word to apply for the OWP online as well.

Source where I found this information:

Hit Submit & Canada - Open Work Permit

I had the same questions wondering if doing so would mean a delay on the OWP. We wanted to submit online as well, but because of the uncertainty surrounding timeframe on this it’ll probably be the old fashioned way.

We still are yet to submit so I will bump and follow this thread in case anyone else has more information on timelines!
Hi there!

Thank you for replying!

I read online that the pilot program allows for applying to the OWP before receiving the initial approval....

Here is the link: OWP Pilot Program

Did you see this?

ello!

Nov 19, 2021
Hi there!

Thank you for replying!

I read online that the pilot program allows for applying to the OWP before receiving the initial approval....

Here is the link: OWP Pilot Program

Did you see this?
I believe you still have to wait though for confirmation to apply.

Eligibility
Officers will issue open work permits to SCLPC class applicants if they meet the following requirements:
  • a complete permanent residence application has been submitted under the SCLPC class and is currently being processed, or has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for processing
Even with the mail in-version, OWP is usually processed before PR approval. (7 month average for mail-in last I checked). I'm mostly worried about a delay on top of that 7 months. So say you apply online, wait X amount of months to get the go ahead to apply for OWP - and then still have to wait the 7 months.

I'll keep you updated if I find out anything else!