Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
Hello, I'm going to submit my extension request as a visitor. When I crossed the Canadian border (parents from US were with me) the officer was very rude and said that she doesn't think my husband will make enough to support me, that I have to have visitor healthcare and that I'm stupid because I don't have it, and some other stuff that I don't even want to bring up. I don't understand why she was so nasty to me. She looked at me and said "doesn't look like you have much to go back to in the US does it?" And I said well I did sell my car, but I was living with my father, if something goes wrong I can always go back with him. Keep in mind he was there, and agreed to that statement. She gave me a paper saying I have to leave in 2 months. Like, wtf? I even told her I was submitting a PR app. Whatever.

Anyways, I tried to go and get fingerprinted today but the lady at the office goofed and I won't get them done until January 6th, 2015. That's when I'll be able to send in for my police report. Is it ok to send in my PR app stating that I'm waiting on the police report?
I got married October 30th, 2014, and still awaiting marriage certificate. However I do have the receipt that I have requested and paid for marriage certificate, is that ok to send the application in with the receipt stating I'll send it in as soon as I get it?

For the visitor extension, it's asking for Proof of Financial Support. Specifically asking "funds available for trip". What should my husband get to show that he can support me? It listed a TON of documents, which I've written down such as bank statements, pay stubs, employment letter and having him write a support letter. I brought about $5,000 USD with me, some of which is still in cash. I am jointly on his bank account and he has a 60k military pension in his bank under a separate military thing... not sure what that really is.

Can I just scan the picture on my passport and crop it and send it as my visitor extension photo?

For the letter of explanation, what should I say? This is what I have so far:

[BEGINNING] I am applying for a Visitor Visa so that I may stay with my husband while my Permanent Resident application processes. I will be staying with him. He will be paying for housing costs, food, and any medical costs should any arise (emergency, sick doctor visit, etc...). I lived with my father in the states, and should something go wrong with my Permanent Resident application I would go back and live with him as I was before. I worked as a cashier at Walmart before coming to Canada as a visitor and have worked out a verbal agreement with my previous manager that if I should return to the United States that I will be able to re-apply and work with them again. [END]

It asks when you plan to leave Canada. Honestly, I don't WANT to leave my husband in Canada but if I have to I will. What should I even put for that? I only live 5 1/2 hours away from my spouse in Canada, it's not like I would have to go overseas or to Florida or something, so I don't see why they think I would fight them when I had to leave.
I'm most nervous about them saying that they don't believe that I will leave Canada after my visitor extension expires. Honestly, if I get denied I will go... reluctantly... but I will. I mean I even had my PARENTS at the border with me saying if something goes wrong I am very welcome back and I thanked them, etc. What can I do to raise the chances of this getting approved? I am losing sleep at night, and crying daily at the thought of having to leave my husband, again, as I've done for the past months. It seriously is the worst feeling in the world and I just don't know what to do.

Questions:
1. What would have made the lady at the border be so nasty to me?
2. Can I send in my PR app without my marriage certificate or police check, stating that they'll be sent in as soon as they're received?
3. On the application under "Funds available for trip" what should I put there? I didn't set aside a certain amount for a trip I just saved up money. Can I include my husbands monthly income added up for the amount of months that I plan on staying?
4. Can I re-scan my passport and use that image from my passport as my visitor extension photo?
5. Extension letter - is mine okay? Not sure what else to put to prove that I will leave Canada. I am a nervous wreck.
6. Chances of getting approved? US Citizen age 21 with a college diploma in medical assisting, my whole family is in the states, I would go back if I must but I really do not want to. I quit my job to come stay with him, is that a bad thing that they know?

Questions about PR Application:
My maiden name is on my passport, but on my driver's license and social security card it's my married name. Is that going to cause an issue filling out the forms? Should I put my married name under where it asks if I have ever gone by another name? Will my police report be accepted by Canada if it has my married name on it?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear about your ordeal with CBSA.

First question:
When does your visitor status actually expire?

Second question:
Are you submitting an Inland application, or an Outland application (which can be submitted while you are `visiting' your husband in Canada)?

One possible solution for you, would be to send in an Inland application ASAP, along with an Open Work Permit, BEFORE YOUR STATUS EXPIRES.
This would give you `implied status', which would allow you to legally remain in Canada without having to apply for a visitor extension.

The down side to that, is that the processing time for an Inland applicant is well over 16 months, compared to ~ 5-6 months for an Outland application. An Outland applicant would [likely] need to maintain their visitor status, which would required you to submit the extension request. If you were to include proof that you had applied for PR sponsorship, it could help your request, but it all depends on what the CBSA officer noted in their system regarding your `incident' with them.

If all you want, is to stay in Canada with your husband [legally and without fear of your visitor extension being denied] and don't care how long the process takes...an Inland application is worth considering.

CIC just implemented a new pilot program for Inland applicants, with legal status, that will allow them to receive an Open Work Permit within 4 months of applying for PR sponsorship. That alone might make your decision to apply Inland, more palatable.

Good luck!

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
First question:
When does your visitor status actually expire?
It expires January 27th, 2015.

Second question:
Are you submitting an Inland application, or an Outland application (which can be submitted while you are `visiting' your husband in Canada)?
We were going to submit Outland.

One possible solution for you, would be to send in an Inland application ASAP, along with an Open Work Permit, BEFORE YOUR STATUS EXPIRES.
This would give you `implied status', which would allow you to legally remain in Canada without having to apply for a visitor extension.

The down side to that, is that the processing time for an Inland applicant is well over 16 months, compared to ~ 5-6 months for an Outland application. An Outland applicant would [likely] need to maintain their visitor status, which would required you to submit the extension request. If you were to include proof that you had applied for PR sponsorship, it could help your request, but it all depends on what the CBSA officer noted in their system regarding your `incident' with them.

If all you want, is to stay in Canada with your husband [legally and without fear of your visitor extension being denied] and don't care how long the process takes...an Inland application is worth considering.
We are most concerned about getting me working. He can support us both but while he is in school it would be easier on him to cut his hours back if I was able to work.

CIC just implemented a new pilot program for Inland applicants, with legal status, that will allow them to receive an Open Work Permit within 4 months of applying for PR sponsorship. That alone might make your decision to apply Inland, more palatable.
Is this a for-sure thing? That it will be given within four months of applying?

So are you saying that if I submit an Inland application that I am automatically allowed to stay in Canada? For how long? How does that work? I thought with an Inland application I also had to extend my visitor thing.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
That seems to have been one nasty officer you got at the border... but that's unusual!

Personally, I'd go with an Outland application. You could have your PR in 6 to 9 months, and stay with your husband while it processes. Or you could apply Inland and get an Open Work Permit after 4 months, then wait maybe 2 years to get PR. There's no knowing how long it will take, and you would be advised never to leave Canada, for any reason, even emergencies. If you get another nasty cranky officer when you try to come back in, you could be denied entry and your PR application will be cancelled. The likelihood of that happening is not large, but I am guessing that right now, you don't want to leave your fate in the hands of one nasty officer.

As for extending your current status, I've never heard of anyone in real life or on this forum that was denied an extension. (Except one person who got an "extension" only as long as her current (extensionless) stay because he or she wrote down the wrong date.) I Have heard of people asking for 2 years and getting only 1, so I suppose it won't hurt to ask for more than you need. I asked for 1 and got 1. (I am not American but I am visa exempt, and I extended while I waited for my Outland PR in Canada.)

In my application, I was very succinct - I said I was waiting out my PR application, living with my husband. I said he is paying for my expenses. I also wrote that in the event my application for extension is denied, I am able and willing to leave Canada immediately.

For the date I plan on leaving Canada: my visitor status was until early September 2014, so I wrote September 1, 2015.

I attached a letter from my husband saying he is responsible for all my expenses while I am here. I attached screenshots of our joint bank account. I attached screenshots of bank statements showing his salary coming in every two weeks. As long as your husband is employed, it should be fine.

1. You could just have been unlucky. I have heard CBSA officers can just be nasty on purpose, to make you crack under pressure and admit to... dunno, what? Anyway, you were really unfortunate.
2. I have heard of lots of people sending in FBI checks later and being ok with it, since the FBI now take like 12 weeks to produce this document. However, I am not sure about marriage certificates - it might be ok, but if a strict CIC employee looks at your file, he/she Might send it back as incomplete. Do you have to wait much longer for it?
3. Yes, you can add your husband's income. They'd understand you don't need much funds since you're living with him rent free, not staying in a hotel.
4. If the quality is good and it's a recent pic... maybe? But if the photo is old, I'd go to a drug store or something and get photos taken.
5. Just be to the point, say you are willing and able to leave. You could add that you are applying for PR, and you do NOT want to jeopardize your application by doing anything against the rules.
6. Chances of getting approved for extension? Close to 100%, as long as you don't make any mistakes on the application, like write the wrong date, or forget to attach necessary documents.

PR app question:
my application included documents with both my married and maiden name.

MissRepresentation

Apr 11, 2014
Visa Office......
Paris
emily3859 said:
Hello, I'm going to submit my extension request as a visitor. When I crossed the Canadian border (parents from US were with me) the officer was very rude and said that she doesn't think my husband will make enough to support me, that I have to have visitor healthcare and that I'm stupid because I don't have it, and some other stuff that I don't even want to bring up. I don't understand why she was so nasty to me. She looked at me and said "doesn't look like you have much to go back to in the US does it?" And I said well I did sell my car, but I was living with my father, if something goes wrong I can always go back with him. Keep in mind he was there, and agreed to that statement. She gave me a paper saying I have to leave in 2 months. Like, wtf? I even told her I was submitting a PR app. Whatever.
Looks like we both came across the same CBSA agent! :D I'm trying to find the information I've told you about and I'll send you a PM with the details.

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
Kayaker said:
1. You could just have been unlucky. I have heard CBSA officers can just be nasty on purpose, to make you crack under pressure and admit to... dunno, what? Anyway, you were really unfortunate.
2. I have heard of lots of people sending in FBI checks later and being ok with it, since the FBI now take like 12 weeks to produce this document. However, I am not sure about marriage certificates - it might be ok, but if a strict CIC employee looks at your file, he/she Might send it back as incomplete. Do you have to wait much longer for it?
3. Yes, you can add your husband's income. They'd understand you don't need much funds since you're living with him rent free, not staying in a hotel.
4. If the quality is good and it's a recent pic... maybe? But if the photo is old, I'd go to a drug store or something and get photos taken.
5. Just be to the point, say you are willing and able to leave. You could add that you are applying for PR, and you do NOT want to jeopardize your application by doing anything against the rules.
6. Chances of getting approved for extension? Close to 100%, as long as you don't make any mistakes on the application, like write the wrong date, or forget to attach necessary documents.
Not sure how much longer I have to wait for it, we were married on October 30th, 2014, and I sent the request for the certificate on December 7th, 2014.

I'll add that, thank you!

Thanks, this made me feel a ton better.

vancitydream

Apr 1, 2015
Hey, Emily!
How had your story finished?

I have the same kind of doubt:

I've been living in Canada for 5 months as a visitor. I really enjoy living here and now I would like to extend my visa for 6 more months to be here on the Summer time.

My visa expires on April 23rd.

I work for a company in my country, and all my incomes are registred in the bank back there.

I would like to some suggestions: what would be a strong reason for extending my visitor visa? Does anyone has any idea?

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
vancitydream said:
Hey, Emily!
How had your story finished?

I have the same kind of doubt:

I've been living in Canada for 5 months as a visitor. I really enjoy living here and now I would like to extend my visa for 6 more months to be here on the Summer time.

My visa expires on April 23rd.

I work for a company in my country, and all my incomes are registred in the bank back there.

I would like to some suggestions: what would be a strong reason for extending my visitor visa? Does anyone has any idea?
I actually got approved! Mine good until January 31st 2016.

Question; who are you living with, & what are you doing in Canada? Are you immigrating?
I
In my letter of explanation I said "applying to extend my visitor visa while my application for permanent resident processes, I know I can not work or go to school while in Canada and I am just a visitor staying with my husband. (They know why I want to extend and what I'm doing) If my visa is not approved I will leave Canada the day before my status expires and return home to my parents. they live five hours away and my husband will drive me there. (So they know I would leave. Added the five hours away part to explain why I have no return ticket or anything)

vancitydream

Apr 1, 2015
Thanks for your response, Emily and congratulations on your process!!! :D :D :D

I rented an apartment, and I'm here just living. I work from home for my company.