+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying through SDS with a partner, 10k GIC is enough?

Mnt

Nov 18, 2021
Hello all, first let me explain my situation.

I applied for a Non-SDS visa in September and got declined on Nov 16. I believe I have a good profile, I'm from Brazil, have a stable and good paying job, a diploma in logistics and I was applying for International Business Management on Montréal. But, even though I do have the sufficient funds, they were not on my bank account. I was the main applicant and my common-law partner was applying for a work permit. All the money was in her account and in my father-in-law's, which apparently didn't satisfy the Officer, as my visa was declined under these grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

I requested the explanation letter but I guess it must be related mainly to the proof of financial support not being in my name/account.

Now I'm looking in strengthening my application by going with SDS because the GIC is a more secure financial proof. I also don't have any IELTS score, I only used the DLI test to prove my english. The officer requested my exam approval from the DLI, so I believe that getting an IELTS will also improve my profile.
Since I have the biometrics and upfront medical exams done already, I'd just need a GIC and IELTS to apply again. I would also adjust my SOP to focus on the course I'm attending and the financial aspects that now I can prove more explicitly. Is my line of thought correct?

My questions are:
1. SDS requirement is CAN$ 10k GIC, but I'm applying for Québec plus my partner. IRCC website says that Québec is a little bit more expensive, CAN$ 11k. Also my course is 16 months so it totals at CAN$ 10,468 additionally to the GIC's 10k (4 months for me + partner). So, do I need to have a GIC and also prove these additional CAN$ 10,468? GIC can be 10k or needs to be 11k?
2. Can I use the same CAQ as the previous application? Biometrics and Upfront medical exams are also ok to use, right?
3. Should I mention in my SOP that I got my previous visa declined? Then elaborate in what changed to apply again?
4. Is there a difference on which institution to get the GIC? I found out it's pretty limited on which ones accept Brazil. If any brazilian could recommend an Institution it'd be great.

Sorry it ended being longer than I expected, thank you all very much for taking your time to help me on this delicate time.

Mnt

Nov 18, 2021
Forgot to mention, I have a US visitor Visa B1 and went to the US in 2019, stayed for 2 weeks. That's got to be also a strong argument.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
1. Check out the funds required for two adults to pay for a year's living expenses on the mifi Quebec website. It will be some 17k CAD. Fund your GIC with that amount.
2. Your CAQ if approved for Fall 2021 will be valid for winter 2022 also. Any further deferral and you would need a fresh CAQ
3. Of course you should mention the reasons for refusal and address each of them in the SOP for your fresh study permit application
4. Not sure but you could check with your college which is the bank with a branch in close proximity to their campus. Makes sense to open an account with that bank.

Mnt

Nov 18, 2021
1. Check out the funds required for two adults to pay for a year's living expenses on the mifi Quebec website. It will be some 17k CAD. Fund your GIC with that amount.
2. Your CAQ if approved for Fall 2021 will be valid for winter 2022 also. Any further deferral and you would need a fresh CAQ
3. Of course you should mention the reasons for refusal and address each of them in the SOP for your fresh study permit application
4. Not sure but you could check with your college which is the bank with a branch in close proximity to their campus. Makes sense to open an account with that bank.
Thank you for your response.
Regarding the 17k GIC, I do have the funds and understand it’s stronger that way, but I’m afraid to put it all in the GIC in case my application gets delayed or even rejected, I might need some of the money sooner. So I would have the 10k GIC to qualify for SDS and then show the rest on bank statements. My concern is my application not being eligible for SDS because the IRCC website says that 1 year funding for Quebec is 11k. Even though the SDS program page says 10k, I believe this number comes from the 1 year funding required outside Quebec mentioned on IRCC website.
After applying, is there a way to know if it was accepted as SDS or you have to guess by judging how long is taking for them to process it?

almirfbf

Dec 1, 2021
I just received an information from my immigration consultant.

He said to do a 12.000 GIC/ person.
As i have wife and 2 kids, 48.000 GIC.

I'm just trying do confirm this, because it sucks.

Did you get any new information about this issue?

Mnt

Nov 18, 2021

Hello,

There's absolutely no basis to affirm that, he is just interpreting on his way. This is proved by the amount accepted by most banks, which is around 25k maximum.
The requirement for SDS is 10k, period.
But I think he has a similar view as mine: Putting money in GIC is putting money directly in Canada. It's already there and you can't put just for the application and then remove, you have to go in person to the bank to withdraw it (unless you get rejected, in that scenario the bank will refund you as you can't go there). It is reasonable that the VO will see that as a stronger POF, as if it was in your account in your home country, you could use it at any time after application.
But, I wouldn't go all the way with GIC, maybe if you have a lot of money available, that you won't need in your home country, sure, but that's hardly the case.
And hey that 12k per person is simply wrong, it makes no sense. Check here the real requirements from Canada. Sure it's better to have more than the minimum but that's way too high.

So my decision is that I'm doing a 11k GIC as I'm going to Quebec (no basis on that also, just to make sure) and the rest I'm going to show on my account in my home country.
Let's hope for the best for both of us!

almirfbf

Dec 1, 2021
Hello,

There's absolutely no basis to affirm that, he is just interpreting on his way. This is proved by the amount accepted by most banks, which is around 25k maximum.
The requirement for SDS is 10k, period.
But I think he has a similar view as mine: Putting money in GIC is putting money directly in Canada. It's already there and you can't put just for the application and then remove, you have to go in person to the bank to withdraw it (unless you get rejected, in that scenario the bank will refund you as you can't go there). It is reasonable that the VO will see that as a stronger POF, as if it was in your account in your home country, you could use it at any time after application.
But, I wouldn't go all the way with GIC, maybe if you have a lot of money available, that you won't need in your home country, sure, but that's hardly the case.
And hey that 12k per person is simply wrong, it makes no sense. Check here the real requirements from Canada. Sure it's better to have more than the minimum but that's way too high.

So my decision is that I'm doing a 11k GIC as I'm going to Quebec (no basis on that also, just to make sure) and the rest I'm going to show on my account in my home country.
Let's hope for the best for both of us!
Thx a lot.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020

Change this nincompoop of a person dispensing such asinine advise. AFAIK the limit of a GIC is capped at 20k and here is this person telling you to plonk almost fifty thousand dollars upfront!