+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying through Buffalo

Biospectral

Dec 9, 2009
I have been told that it is a lot faster to apply through Buffalo then to apply through Canada itself. My question basically is my wife and I both live in Ontario and we wondering if it was still possible to apply through Buffalo and if so would there be anything different we would have to do in order to send it there. Her nationality is from PR China, Does she need to be American?

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
No she does not need to be American. As long as she has been legally admitted to Canada for 1 year she is allowed to send her application to Buffalo instead of China (if Buffalo has a faster proccessing time)

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In addition to what ssarah said, your application does not go directly to Buffalo. You send the entire application to Mississauaga, for sponsorship approval. After they approve you as a sponsor, they will forward your application to Buffalo.

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
Oh yes I forgot that! That is one thing I was confused on when I first started the process, but diddagirl is correct!

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
besides all that, if you want to do it through Buffalo, this means that you reside in the US. For that you need to present a legal status in the US. i.e. green card, work permit, etc...

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think with her being from China I would probably recommend applying inland but to each his own.

But you can apply outland through Buffalo like everyone stated if you have been legally admitted to Canada for one year or if she was legally admitted to the US for one year. You send the application to Mississauga then they will decide there whether to approve you as a sponsor and that is currently taking 32 days. Then once you are approved for that they will send the application off to Buffalo where it will be assessed for the genuineness of the relationship, medical and criminal backgrounds. If all that is clear then she should be able to get PR in 4-9months.

Also make sure to use the Outland form and not the Inland. Just want to make sure at least fill out the right form. ;)

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toledo said:
besides all that, if you want to do it through Buffalo, this means that you reside in the US. For that you need to present a legal status in the US. i.e. green card, work permit, etc...
No, you dont have to have legal status in the US. In addition to processing visa's for American's, Buffalo also processes application for individuals who have been legally admitted to Canada for at least one year (ie work/student visa)- so in those cases you dont need to have any legal ties or status in the USA. Its based simply on your status in Canada.

ColorMePanda said:
I think with her being from China I would probably recommend applying inland but to each his own.

But you can apply outland through Buffalo like everyone stated if you have been legally admitted to Canada for one year or if she was legally admitted to the US for one year. You send the application to Mississauga then they will decide there whether to approve you as a sponsor and that is currently taking 32 days. Then once you are approved for that they will send the application off to Buffalo where it will be assessed for the genuineness of the relationship, medical and criminal backgrounds. If all that is clear then she should be able to get PR in 4-9months.

Also make sure to use the Outland form and not the Inland. Just want to make sure at least fill out the right form. ;)
I would not reccommend doing the inland process. If you can go the Buffalo route- the timelines are pretty fast, much faster than inland. Not to mention, you lose the right of appeal for inland.

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
toledo said:
Not true, I've never been in the US for more than a day and I was entitled. Buffalo deals with people who have been let into Canada legally for one year. As long as you meet that requirement you can have them process it.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
"Not true, I've never been in the US for more than a day and I was entitled. Buffalo deals with people who have been let into Canada legally for one year. As long as you meet that requirement you can have them process it."

I see. I wasn't aware of this fact.

Biospectral

Dec 9, 2009
Ok, understood... Don't listen to Dony. Well actually I am in one of those situations. I met my wife here in Canada while she was on her student Visa and we got married one year after we met. I have been told that quick relationships like that can also stir up the pot as to whether she gets accepted. Any relevance to that? Also we have been supporting ourselves with money from in-laws and so much work. Will that be an issue for the process? I have read up on it and I cant understand whether I need to be able to support her or whether that is only with kids? None the less we still can afford a nice and happy life together.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Biospectral said:
Ok, understood... Don't listen to Dony. Well actually I am in one of those situations. I met my wife here in Canada while she was on her student Visa and we got married one year after we met. I have been told that quick relationships like that can also stir up the pot as to whether she gets accepted. Any relevance to that? Also we have been supporting ourselves with money from in-laws and so much work. Will that be an issue for the process? I have read up on it and I cant understand whether I need to be able to support her or whether that is only with kids? None the less we still can afford a nice and happy life together.
Biospectral: While I think some shorter relationships may be more carefully scrutinized than longer term ones, I think that if you provide lots of good evidence of your relationship that you will have no problem. And my husband and I are proof of that. In our case, we met in July and were married by June of the following year.We provided 50-60 photos, evidence of almost daily contact (by phone/email/chats), contents of over 400 emails, a letter from my mom in support of our relationship, detailed letters from each of us describing the development of our relationship and hotel and plane bills. We didn't have an interview and my husband got his visa in 4 months (and that's with some delay because of a typo on the original police certificate that had to be re-submitted). I think if your relationship is genuine and you can show proof of this, it doesn't matter if you married quickly. After all, once you've met the right person, why do you need to wait, right? :)

As for your income, you do not need to meet any financial requirements when you are sponsoring your spouse. I was actually a student living off of a scholarship when I sponsored.

Good luck.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ariell's advice is excellent.

My wife and I married less than 3 months after we met, and I was approved without an interview and am today a PR. :)

Biospectral

Dec 9, 2009
Hey Ariell and Karlshammar just curious, how did you apply? did you do it within Canada or did you send it elsewhere? From what I have been reading 4 months is really fast.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was a sponsored spouse, and applied through Buffalo.

Biospectral said:
Hey Ariell and Karlshammar just curious, how did you apply? did you do it within Canada or did you send it elsewhere? From what I have been reading 4 months is really fast.