+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Refugee status while visiting Canada second time

samG777

Feb 4, 2017
Hi All,

Please guide me, I have visited Canada for 3 days last year through US-Canada border,
I never applied asylum the first time because of Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement.
can i apply asylum upon on my second visit?

Regards,
Sam

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have family members in Canada?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
samG777 said:
Hi All,

Please guide me, I have visited Canada for 3 days last year through US-Canada border,
I never applied asylum the first time because of Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement.
can i apply asylum upon on my second visit?

Regards,
Sam
If you were able to enter Canada as a visitor, then the Safe 3rd country agreement no longer applies. You could have claimed asylum once you were physically in Canada. Safe 3rd country is only for those trying to claim asylum at the border, who don't have visa so would otherwise be ineligible to enter.

Are you already an asylum seeker in US?

samG777

Feb 4, 2017
Rob_TO said:
If you were able to enter Canada as a visitor, then the Safe 3rd country agreement no longer applies. You could have claimed asylum once you were physically in Canada. Safe 3rd country is only for those trying to claim asylum at the border, who don't have visa so would otherwise be ineligible to enter.

Are you already an asylum seeker in US?
Hi Rob_TO,I didn't know the people who i met gave me the wrong information.
No didn't apply asylum in US, had to come back to my current country of residence.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
samG777 said:
Hi Rob_TO,I didn't know the people who i met gave me the wrong information.
No didn't apply asylum in US, had to come back to my current country of residence.
If you were able to go back to your country of residence and didn't claim asylum when you had the chance in US or Canada, then unless the reason for claiming asylum has very suddenly and recently happened only after you returned home, chances do not look good for a successful claim.

Most real asylum seekers would do so at the very first opportunity they get, regardless of safe country they're in.

It looks like you are simply trying to pick and choose to get into Canada.

samG777

Feb 4, 2017
Rob_TO said:
If you were able to go back to your country of residence and didn't claim asylum when you had the chance in US or Canada, then unless the reason for claiming asylum has very suddenly and recently happened only after you returned home, chances do not look good for a successful claim.

Most real asylum seekers would do so at the very first opportunity they get, regardless of safe country they're in.

Hi Rob_TO, thanks for your advise

samG777

Feb 4, 2017
Rob_TO said:

Hi Rob_TO, I am not trying to pick and choose, if some one mislead you while you need help then you made mistake, thanks for you advise really appreciate.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
samG777 said:
Hi Rob_TO, I am not trying to pick and choose, if some one mislead you while you need help then you made mistake, thanks for you advise really appreciate.
Then why didn't you apply in USA when you had the chance??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
samG777 said:
Hi Rob_TO,because of new president elected
Was he put into power before or after you returned home? Since you were already considering claiming asylum while here, I assume he was already in power.

To be considered a refugee you must show specific actions that have been taken against you personally that show a risk to your life. You can't just base a refugee claim on who the president happens to be in your country right now.

A refugee should be unable to return to their home country. By returning to your home country instead of claiming asylum in USA, you have shown you can in fact return to your home country so based on this alone may not qualify as a refugee.

You should research a bit more into what a successful refugee claim will require in your case, before you attempt to claim asylum here. Else you will just find your claim rejected after several years and eventually being deported.

samG777

Feb 4, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Was he put into power before or after you returned home? Since you were already considering claiming asylum while here, I assume he was already in power.

To be considered a refugee you must show specific actions that have been taken against you personally that show a risk to your life. You can't just base a refugee claim on who the president happens to be in your country right now.

A refugee should be unable to return to their home country. By returning to your home country instead of claiming asylum in USA, you have shown you can in fact return to your home country so based on this alone may not qualify as a refugee.

You should research a bit more into what a successful refugee claim will require in your case, before you attempt to claim asylum here. Else you will just find your claim rejected after several years and eventually being deported.
Hi Rob_TO, Thank you so much for your advise.

eeshoo

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
Hi Rob_TO , i am in same situation as SamG777 in is. i also visited USA and stayed over there % and half months over there and came back to my country of residence. right now iam in my country and have visitor visa of canada and want to apply asylum in canada. so can i be successful in canada as refugee? please suggest me.

iam from minority and have issue for our community in our country.....

thanks in advance

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi Rob_TO , i am in same situation as SamG777 in is. i also visited USA and stayed over there % and half months over there and came back to my country of residence. right now iam in my country and have visitor visa of canada and want to apply asylum in canada. so can i be successful in canada as refugee? please suggest me.

iam from minority and have issue for our community in our country.....

thanks in advance
When you traveled to USA you had an opportunity to claim asylum there. Instead, you chose to return to your home country. Due to this your refugee claim may not be taken seriously as it looks like you don't really need protection from your home country. A real refugee would have immediately claimed asylum in USA.

You can certainly try to claim asylum when arriving in Canada, however based on your story the chances of success may be quite low. If refugee claim is denied, you'll be deported back to your home country.