+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying PRTD from USA

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
I am trying to get a PRTD-Permanent Resident Travel Document from the USA, but the LA and NYC centers are closed. So it seems it's not possible to apply for PRTD now in the USA. I am posting to give people information. Anyone is also trying to apply for PRTD in the US? I email the LA center and got the following response on May 11, 2020:

"At the moment, our application centers and the Canadian embassy are closed, so the Canadian consulate is interrupting all processes; Also, biometrics collection is unavailable until further notice.

At the moment, only online applications are being accepted, the application must be submitted here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html.

Please note that even though online applications are being accepted, once you receive the biometrics request letter or passport (if necessary), you must wait for our center to be open again to do so.
Whenever there is an expected date for our center to be open again, such date will be uploaded at our website on our "Important notices" section: www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/usa.

We appreciate your understanding and hope that you and your family are safe at home.
It is always a pleasure to assist you.

Please feel free to get in touch with us in case of further information on your Canada Visa Application. You may choose to contact us via email on info.canny@vfshelpline.com and we will get back to you within two (2) business days.

You may call our Canada Visa Information Help line on: +18882964511 between 8am to 4pm local time from Monday to Friday, excluding declared holidays or chat with our agent by visiting our website given below. "

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Are you trying to enter Canada by land or air? Are you a US citizen? Is there a reason you can’t wait.
I'm trying to enter by land. I'm not a US citizen.
The reason I can't wait is because I need to fulfill Canada PR residency. I have plans outside of Canada for a few years so I need to fulfill residency ASAP.