+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Outland - Living in Canada

InLoveWithAnAmerican

May 9, 2014
Im applying outland from USA, but i've been living with my husband for 4 months at his home in Canada. I am finishing up details on my application but how do i go about explaining that im already living here while applying outland?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Simply put your Canadian address, and answer everything truthfully. CIC encourages people to apply outland instead of inland, so there is nothing wrong with it.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wrote a letter like- i want to stay with my family and want to wait till my pr process end. But no problem to fly back home etc.
also sent photocopy of returning ticket (if you have)
I got one year without any problem.

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
What is your status in Canada? If it's visitor, then you're just visiting (for up to 6 months, but after that one can apply for an extension...).

There are no requirements that an Outland applicant be outside of Canada, so that means you can visit (and extend) if you want. That doesn't entitle you to the OWP or to other programs like healthcare, etc, unless you enter with and maintain a separate Study or Work permit (not the OWP that you get from an Inland application).

There IS a requirement that an INLAND applicant be inside Canada (along with other pros and cons). But the reverse is not true for Outland applicants.

Take steps to maintain your status. Don't overstay. Don't lie or hide information on any application to CIC.

While in everyday life, we might say "living with my spouse/partner" but to CBSA and CIC we are visiting/staying.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
InLoveWithAnAmerican said:
Im applying outland from USA, but i've been living with my husband for 4 months at his home in Canada. I am finishing up details on my application but how do i go about explaining that im already living here while applying outland?
As Milesaway said, just list your Canadian address in the app. There is no need to do anything extra to explain that you are in Canada.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM June 2/2015 and COPR arrived June 10/2015
LANDED..........
June 15/2015 Yay! 8) PR card arrived Sept 3/2015
InLoveWithAnAmerican said:
Make sure you apply to extend your stay as a visitor in the next few weeks or so if you are wanting to live here with your husband longer than 6 months without returning back to the USA. You'll need to send it off so they receive it before the last 30 days of your visitor status is up.

You can be visiting here with your husband no problem while applying outland. My wife is a Outland applicant from the US and has been living here in Canada with me since we applied back in Sept/2014, and right now she is on implied status while we await the visitor extension as her 6 months were up on March 13/2015. We asked for another 6 months so we'll see :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Evadyrrehs said:
You'll need to send it off so they receive it before the last 30 days of your visitor status is up.
This is incorrect. Though CIC recommends applying 30 days before status expiry, it is not a requirement; a person can apply to extend their status up to the day before it expires.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
This is incorrect. Though CIC recommends applying 30 days before status expiry, it is not a requirement; a person can apply to extend their status up to the day before it expires.

I'd rather do what they recommend on their site and forms but yes you're right 8)

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Indeed. And also incorrect, there is no such thing as implied status for outland applicants.

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truesmile said:
Indeed. And also incorrect, there is no such thing as implied status for outland applicants.
This is a valid thread to keep going since I am an American and that's what we are focusing on. I am debating whether or not to try to dump my inland application (not submitted yet) and fill out the outland application as I live with my wife in Canada. But that is my concern, maintaining status. As an American, if I apply outland what can I do to maintain status? I am currently on a PGWP that expires at the end of July. Can I simply apply for the visitor visa extension online?

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes you could apply Outland and live in Canada as a visitor no problem during the process. Outland will be much faster than Inland. My wife was here for the whole Outland process, and we just had to apply for her visitor extension to keep her status legal etc.. This thread seems a bit misleading with some of the comments but as far as implied status goes, you will have implied status while you await the decision on your visitor extension.. You do not have implied status just by submitting an Outland application, you need to keep your status legal by extending your visitor status etc.. And also many people here do not seem to care or mind applying to extend their visitor status the day before it expires or in the last few weeks etc.. I prefer to do what they recommend on the CIC site and tell people to do the same, which is send in your application to extend 30 days prior to your visitor status expiring. Why temp fate with CIC is my motto 8)

coinguy

Jun 22, 2015
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Evadyrrehs said:
Yes you could apply Outland and live in Canada as a visitor no problem during the process. Outland will be much faster than Inland. My wife was here for the whole Outland process, and we just had to apply for her visitor extension to keep her status legal etc.. This thread seems a bit misleading with some of the comments but as far as implied status goes, you will have implied status while you await the decision on your visitor extension.. You do not have implied status just by submitting an Outland application, you need to keep your status legal by extending your visitor status etc.. And also many people here do not seem to care or mind applying to extend their visitor status the day before it expires or in the last few weeks etc.. I prefer to do what they recommend on the CIC site and tell people to do the same, which is send in your application to extend 30 days prior to your visitor status expiring. Why temp fate with CIC is my motto 8)
I absolutely agree with you. If I recall the visitor status can be updated all online right?

Unfortunately I might have to stick with the inland application because I won't be able to get a medical exam before the expiration of my PGWP. :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
coinguy said:
I absolutely agree with you. If I recall the visitor status can be updated all online right?

Unfortunately I might have to stick with the inland application because I won't be able to get a medical exam before the expiration of my PGWP. :(
Don't apply inland just because of that. Hold off until you can get the medical done and apply outland.

Evadyrrehs

Nov 4, 2013
Moncton NB Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24/2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Nov 13/2014
File Transfer...
SA Nov 13/2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 22/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes you can apply to extend your Visitor status all online no stamp or mailbox required ;D For myself I'd still stick to the 30 days before your status expires suggestion that CIC gives even when applying online, but that's your call 8)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp