+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying outland from Japan, affidavit for translation

jaydee77

Apr 20, 2015
My wife and I both live in Japan at the moment, and we have a daughter together (she has Canadian and Japanese citizenship). We're going through the application for a family class visa for my wife, and we've come up against some challenges. The biggest one is how we're supposed to get an affidavit signed by the translator for several documents. There's little information about how to get them to sign the affidavit, other than that they have to sign it in front of a commissioner of oaths, etc. However, the affidavit form on the embassy's website says to sign it at the embassy. This is rather confusing, and we have no idea how they're supposed to sign the affidavit, especially since Japan doesn't actually have a system for affidavits. The country doesn't have people qualified to witness the signing. Any ideas?

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
I know that at the Calgary consulate, they provided us with the official translation of the birth certificate.

At the bottom of this page, there are templates you could also use: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/japan-japon/consular_services_consulaires/notarial-notariat.aspx?lang=eng

Going by this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3913e.pdf
There is no mention of affidavit, it just says translation needs to be provided.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
The parent, grandparent, etc actually specifically mentions affidavits: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E33041.pdf

Generic is Generic, and often times overridden by specific country lists/instructions. I would doublecheck, but we just provided what the consulate provided us with.

byn2013

Apr 19, 2014
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
ask the local translator, they will do for you. i think it's about 15000yen per document.
btw, i think certified translation is acceptable. it worked for me.

jaydee77

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks. The translator apparently does translations for immigration purposes, and they do provide a document that is signed and dated. Others who have used them didn't get an affidavit, though, and they were successful in obtaining a visa. The country specific information doesn't mention affidavits, though I really don't want us to miss out on something important. The cost for each document is already expensive to get translated, but the affidavits are also quite expensive. If we don't need it, I'd rather we save a bit of money on that.