+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Out-land for work permit/temp res.

jak5

Dec 5, 2017
I have looked around for an answer but can't seem to find one. Currently I am living in Australia and my partner is Canadian, living in Canada. I have already done the working holiday visa (expired last month) and we have previously lived together for 6 months, however I am looking to move back to Canada. Is there any way to do all the marriage forms out-land? And if so can I apply for temp residency or a different work permit as I want to be able to work straight away or really soon upon returning to Canada.
Cheers

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
I have looked around for an answer but can't seem to find one. Currently I am living in Australia and my partner is Canadian, living in Canada. I have already done the working holiday visa (expired last month) and we have previously lived together for 6 months, however I am looking to move back to Canada. Is there any way to do all the marriage forms out-land? And if so can I apply for temp residency or a different work permit as I want to be able to work straight away or really soon upon returning to Canada.
Cheers
If you apply for PR outland then you won't be able to apply for an open work permit those are for inland applications only.

As you are from Australia your best bet would be to go and visit your partner and get married and apply inland PR with the open work permit while you are in Canada and in status. Otherwise you won't be able to work in Canada until your outland PR application is complete.

Reactions: jak5

Ceimi

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
KWC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
AOR Received.
02-02-2018
Alternatively, you can find work online as long as its not a Canadian company. For example, you can work as customer support for an Australian company that is fully remote work. This doesnt cross into "working" territory in Canada since you can't take away a job that was never accessible to a Canadian in the first place. If you really want to apply Outland, this will be your only option since you cannot apply for a work permit, and a temp resident visa does not allow you to work.

jak5

Dec 5, 2017
Thank you for all the responses!
Is there any way to sort out the paperwork for the marriage whilst I'm still in Australia? Because somewhere I read it could take up to 8 weeks just for the marriage and then an additional 4 months for the Open Work Visa and 12 months for the PR?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Thank you for all the responses!
Is there any way to sort out the paperwork for the marriage whilst I'm still in Australia? Because somewhere I read it could take up to 8 weeks just for the marriage and then an additional 4 months for the Open Work Visa and 12 months for the PR?
Not sure exactly what you mean. It can take up to 16 weeks to get a marriage cert, which you need to apply (this timeline is based on Ontario numbers, but it's common for a couple months wait for these documents).

To be eligible for an OWP, you must apply inland. To apply inland, you must both be in Canada.

It takes on average 4m to receive the OWP after submittal.

The target for permanent residency in 12m as it stands.

Does that clarify?

jak5

Dec 5, 2017
Yes thank you for all your help!
I meant is there any way to organise the marriage cert with myself still being in Australia and my partner in Canada? Or do I psychically need to be in Canada? So when I arrive in Canada I can straight away sort out the Open Working Visa.

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
Yes thank you for all your help!
I meant is there any way to organise the marriage cert with myself still being in Australia and my partner in Canada? Or do I psychically need to be in Canada? So when I arrive in Canada I can straight away sort out the Open Working Visa.
I assume you mean that you two aren't married yet.

In this case this is what you would have to do:

- Travel to Canada
- Apply for marriage license
- Make appointment to get married by justice of the peace and have at least two witnesses (Depending on their schedule it could take a few weeks or a month or more)
- Get married
- Apply for marriage cert (This can take up to 16 weeks)
- Get all your info together and apply for inland PR with OWP.
- Wait

Reactions: jak5 and YVR123

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
UK gives you marriage certificate straight away (but 1 month wedding notice required). Might be quicker for cert in Aus than Canada, if she elopes while on a visit to you?