+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying ONLINE? Read this! July 03 application...still waiting!!

Aug 13, 2013
Anyone planning to apply ONLINE, please read my experience.

10th - 93%
12th - 90%
BE - 78% aggregate (no backlogs)
MS - 3.7 GPA (From US)
Work Exp - 7 yrs

Applied to Simon Fraser University for an MBA. Scholarship of $10000. Bank Loan for 20 Lakhs. First Term fees paid (own money) $10000.
Also applied for Visitor Visas for my Husband and 2 children (3 yrs and 1 yr old) in the same Online Application.

Timeline

July 03

Applied online for the whole family together.

July 09

Got a letter from CIC (a message sent to my MyCIC account) asking for the fee paid receipt.

Now this stumped us because when we paid the fees, as the last step before submitting the online application, it clearly stated that we do not need to send a copy of the receipt to CIC as this is an online application. There was some glitch in the system and we could not save an official copy. We just did a 'print screen' and saved it in a word file. But thank god we at least had the receipt number.

July 09

Sent the copy of the receipt (again, uploaded the saved file from my MyCIC account. They had provided a link to upload the additional document)

July 22

Received one more letter from CIC asking me to 'Pay the study permit fees. You can pay at your closest VFS center'

We did not understand what was happening. No reply from Delhi CIC to our email inquiry. No phone calls entertained. Called VFS. They said they'll send it but they were also at a loss as to what was happening. And the letter did not specify how much to pay. Should I pay just the study permit fee or should I pay the fee for the entire family again? Did they not receive the payment online? Should I just lose my money and pay the whole amount again? There was absolutely no information. It was so confusing.

So, we went to VFS Bangalore. The person there was absolutely amazing. He listened to us patiently. Then when he gave us the amount to be paid for all 4 of us, we realized that what we had paid online was lesser. Then we realized that the online application system had calculated the wrong fees. It gave us $400 to pay (and mind you, we can't change the amount as it is generated by the system and so we didn't even imagine that it could be wrong!). That $400 was the family rate for Visitor Visas for my husband and children and it did not include my study permit fee of $125!!

Phew! Couldn't they have written an extra line in their letter explaining this? Anyway, we had to make a DD for Rs. 6625 and send it through VFS.

July 25

Sent an additional payment to CIC Delhi for $125 (Demand Draft) for my study permit through VFS Bangalore, along with a copy of my passport and the letter sent to me by CIC.

July 26

DD received by CIC Delhi.

A copy of the DD, letter sent by them and a letter from me explaining all the fees paid was uploaded by me in my Online Application (again, they had provided a link in my MyCIC account)

I have been waiting to hear from them ever since! The VFS Bangalore guy got in touch with someone from CIC Delhi and they confirmed that all I have to do is pay the additional study permit fee and I will be all set.

The VFS guy also told me that usually when they ask for additional documents (and not exactly an additional document in my case) and especially in my case (the mistake is not from my side), it pretty much means that my visa is approved. He also said that if they were to reject me, they would have done so much earlier, usually within 7-8 days of the application date.

Now there is one more problem with applying online! Once my visa is approved, they will then send me a message to send our passports. I will then have to go to VFS again and submit our passports. They will send it to CIC Delhi for visa stamping. Supposedly this will take an additional 10 days!! My classes start on September 03 and I still haven't heard from them one way or the other. I haven't even booked my tickets yet.

Conclusion

Applying online was a BIG mistake! Going to VFS would have been so much simpler. I probably would have gotten my visa in the 3rd week of July itself.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
I agree in india vfs is very efficient ....as the system is set up for a few years now. Vfs people do have experience with the documents.

jay_m

Jun 28, 2013
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2013
IELTS Request
No need,will study in french
Med's Done....
way before
VISA ISSUED...
soon
LANDED..........
soon
Thank you so much, I was already filling the online application.
You might have saved me.

rb1981

Jul 28, 2013
I am too almost in the same boat. applied for student visa online for a phd from ubc along with visitor visa for my wife and daughter on july 8th. on 9th july recieved mail regarding additional documents for me and my dependants. got my passport request on 16th july but no info for dependants. mailed them five times but no reply. went to embassy in chd but they told me that you can submit their passports only when you receive a letter. vfs told me they cant accept all three passports on one letter.

had to cancel their tickets and arrive in canada alone. still waiting for their approval. called toll free number in here as well but they also cant give any info.

just keep updating about status. I will let you know in case of any update.