Applying OHIP as a citizen/2nd trimester pregnancy costs

jnt211

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
New York
App. Filed.......
08-08-2018
Hi,

I have a two part question related to moving to Ontario while pregnant.

I am a Canadian citizen, however, I have not previous resided in Ontario. I want to confirm first

1) That as a Canadian citizen I still need to wait 3 months for OHIP to start?

2) Presuming yes, I need to wait-- the timing would be such that OHIP would start well before my due date, but would not have coverage for the majority of the 2nd trimester. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost out of pocket to get the necessary tests/appointments done during this time?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I have a two part question related to moving to Ontario while pregnant.

I am a Canadian citizen, however, I have not previous resided in Ontario. I want to confirm first

1) That as a Canadian citizen I still need to wait 3 months for OHIP to start?

2) Presuming yes, I need to wait-- the timing would be such that OHIP would start well before my due date, but would not have coverage for the majority of the 2nd trimester. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost out of pocket to get the necessary tests/appointments done during this time?

Thanks!
Yes you have a 3 month wait period even as a citizen. Costs depend on your pregnancy, what prenatal care you have had and doctor/area of the country. There are no established fees for private care for physicians. In general if you have had prenatal care and there are no problems during the 2nd trimester under $1000 would be my guess. Would bring copy of previous testing so you don’t have to pay to repeat it.