+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying jobs after receiving PR

Indiantechie

Oct 2, 2018
Hi all,

Has anyone faced experienced issues while applying jobs after you received your PR while still being in your home country?

I received my PR early this year, did a soft landing a couple of months later and came back as I was still employed in my home country.

A while back I started applying for jobs that I knew I had the right skills for. Strangely I did not even go a point where I was contacted for an interview except for one occasion (even that kind of seemed going south as the recruiter seemed not delighted to hear that I'm not physically in Canada).

I am getting a feeling that recruiters are a bit biased towards local candidates even though I'm eligible to work in Canada or is it that my notice period is too long for Canadian standards?

Either way, I believe I might have to leave my current job, come to Canada and start working on job applications.

Has anyone had a similar experience and was able to negotiate with or convince recruiters, do share. It would be immensely helpful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes most employers expect you to be in Canada before considering your application unless you have very specialized skills.

Indiantechie

Oct 2, 2018
Yes most employers expect you to be in Canada before considering your application unless you have very specialized skills.
Thanks for your quick response.

It's just that I wanted to have a job when I land there. Would you know if recruiters could be fine with my notice period of 2 months? I could travel there for a while to appear for interviews and return back to serve my notice period. This way I can still retain my current job.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
All depends on your skill set. If you have niche hot in-demand skills, then employer will wait for you. If not, then employers will find someone local who is readily available for work.

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
keep in mind that most employers will contact you through your local Canadian phone number. So if there’s no Canadian number in your resume , most likely you won’t hear from anyone. That’s what I experienced!

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Two months is definitely too long of a notice for most jobs in Canada. Keep in mind that the labour pool is much deeper here in Canada and for most openings recruiters would receive hundreds or even thousands of applicants. Why would they wait for you for two months when there are people available immediately who can come in for interview and start in a week or two?

Also many jobs are advertised by staffing agencies who get paid for placement, and for them the earlier you start working the sooner they get paid. They would definitely not be waiting for you for two months when the client may have immediate needs, fill the role through a different agency, or you may change your mind between now and then.

You will have to make the move and come here start applying locally as everyone else. You may not get exactly what you wanted at the very beginning but in the long term it should work out.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

parttimebasement

Star Member
Oct 22, 2018
Hi all,

Has anyone faced experienced issues while applying jobs after you received your PR while still being in your home country?

I received my PR early this year, did a soft landing a couple of months later and came back as I was still employed in my home country.

A while back I started applying for jobs that I knew I had the right skills for. Strangely I did not even go a point where I was contacted for an interview except for one occasion (even that kind of seemed going south as the recruiter seemed not delighted to hear that I'm not physically in Canada).

I am getting a feeling that recruiters are a bit biased towards local candidates even though I'm eligible to work in Canada or is it that my notice period is too long for Canadian standards?

Either way, I believe I might have to leave my current job, come to Canada and start working on job applications.

Has anyone had a similar experience and was able to negotiate with or convince recruiters, do share. It would be immensely helpful.
Unless you are a certain professional like Data Scientist from Google then there is no chance of you getting an job offer from outside of Canada.

Finally be prepared to work low wage jobs as your professional job will not happen immediately.
Matter of fact some immigrants get stuck in the low wage job forever.
So be prepared if things go south.
Basically you are wasting your time & the employers time.