+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Inland and OWP Questions

MatthewD

Jul 22, 2016
My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married soon, but we have heard some contradictory information. Hope this forum can help clear things up for us.

Girlfriend:
Currently has 1-year open work permit (working holiday), expires Oct 15, 2016.
Currently employed as graphic designer for a small firm.
We live together in Vancouver, BC.
She is from Taiwan
I'm Canadian
Relationship started Dec 2015.

After marrying (August/early September), I plan to sponsor her through SCLPC class. She plans on applying for the Open Work Permit pilot program at the same time. Currently reading that there is 4 months wait for approval.

Is she able to continue working for her same employer with 'implied status' while she waits for her new OWP?

We understand approval for PR through inland application is running around 25 months. Would she able to visit her family in Taiwan for a few weeks, once she got her Open Work Permit approved through the pilot program?

Thanks!

vancouvernick

Oct 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 28, 2015
AOR Received.
Feb. 25, 2016
Med's Request
May 20, 2016
Med's Done....
May 20, 2016
LANDED..........
Aug. 4, 2016
My understanding is that she can stay with an implied status but she won't be able to work legally (I assume her SIN expires with her open work permit)

The processing time is not 26 months (I know the CIC website said 26 months but...), you should check out the inland spreadsheet, lot of people got their landing status in less than a year now

As for leaving Canada while an inland app is in progress, that's tricky because I have been hearing conflicting info on this too. I think the generally idea is that, there's a possibility that the CBSA might refuse her entry but no one can tell you how big the risk is and I believe the risk of refusal at boarder depends on individuals case. Well, the thing is, IF she is refused at the border things will get really complicated. I would suggest not leaving while inland app in progress.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
MatthewD said:
My girlfriend and I are planning on getting married soon, but we have heard some contradictory information. Hope this forum can help clear things up for us.

Girlfriend:
Currently has 1-year open work permit (working holiday), expires Oct 15, 2016.
Currently employed as graphic designer for a small firm.
We live together in Vancouver, BC.
She is from Taiwan
I'm Canadian
Relationship started Dec 2015.

After marrying (August/early September), I plan to sponsor her through SCLPC class. She plans on applying for the Open Work Permit pilot program at the same time. Currently reading that there is 4 months wait for approval.

Is she able to continue working for her same employer with 'implied status' while she waits for her new OWP?

We understand approval for PR through inland application is running around 25 months. Would she able to visit her family in Taiwan for a few weeks, once she got her Open Work Permit approved through the pilot program?

Thanks!
Hi.

The IEC is not extendable, so no she cannot work legally on implied status.

With an inland application if the PA leaves Canada and is refused re-entry the application will be refused. Therefore it's advised the PA remain in Canada throughout the process.