+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying from USA & California questions

nvts

Nov 14, 2009
Hello,

Great site and information.

Question:

My wife & I and our 2 children have lived in Alberta for almost 3 years. She has worked at the same job for all the time here. It is a Type 0 .

We are applying next week for our fingerprints from the US. I know that FBI are required. We came from California. All of us were born in CA.

I read that this might be required. Has anyone on this forum come from CA and was it required?

Also, is there a right or wrong way to get an FBI check? I was going to follow the instructions.

Get a local finger print card for my wife and me (RCMP), have photos taken for all my family members, send our cards, photos, money, cover letter to the address on the forms.

I understand that since my kids have been in Alberta before they were sixteen, they do not need clearance? Daughter 19, Son 18 next year.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers…

Howard

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nvts said:
Hello,

Great site and information.

Question:

My wife & I and our 2 children have lived in Alberta for almost 3 years. She has worked at the same job for all the time here. It is a Type 0 .

We are applying next week for our fingerprints from the US. I know that FBI are required. We came from California. All of us were born in CA.

I read that this might be required. Has anyone on this forum come from CA and was it required?

Also, is there a right or wrong way to get an FBI check? I was going to follow the instructions.

Get a local finger print card for my wife and me (RCMP), have photos taken for all my family members, send our cards, photos, money, cover letter to the address on the forms.

I understand that since my kids have been in Alberta before they were sixteen, they do not need clearance? Daughter 19, Son 18 next year.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers...

Howard
1. Buffalo may ask for state certificates.
2. No photos to the FBI as far as I know but photo ID to have the prints taken, put a required date on the envelope 3/4 weeks in the future.
3. You may find the RCMP won't take the prints, go to the Corp of Commissionaires.
4. Get a Criminal Records check for the 19 year, unless you want to try and prove that she has never been in the US since turning 18, which you probably can't.

PMM

nvts

Nov 14, 2009
PMM,

Thanks for the reply.

I read that we have to have 4 photos for each of us. I will read again, but I have read it a couple times.

OK,

I guess to be safe thatn sorry for my daughter. Her passport would normally show stamps, but they do not stamp all the time. I will get one for her also.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You need to submit photos with the FULL PR application, not the initial application, NOT to apply for an FBI clearance.

I had my fingerprints done by the local (city) police station in Ontario (not RCMP - they won't do it), on THEIR form (they filled in the information on the computer and just printed it on plain paper). The FBI accepted that.

Or, if you follow the link from the CIC website to the FBI website, you will find these instructions - you can print the FBI card (on plain paper) from here and use that.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

You will see NO requirement for photos here.

As for a State PCC from California - it is not required at this time, only if the IO asks for it. (Having said that, if it's a pain in the neck to get the fingerprinting done, it might not hurt to go ahead and get the California done too.) You can find instructions on the CIC website...

nvts

Nov 14, 2009
jes_ON,

Thanks. Yes I read the info again and new I needed them. I meant with the Full app.

So, did you have the electronic ones done, then they just printed it out, or their form with the ink prints?

Have you been approved, and fi so how long did it take?

Thanks again,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ha, no. I never got to submit them - so this is a caveat. The FBI accepted the fingerprint form from my local police station. I don't know if CIC would also accept that for the FBI clearance : ) Can't imagine why not, but the FBI response is just a tiny little stamp on the back of the form saying "no record" (assuming you have no record).

fingerprinting was done with ink.

Didn't get to submit because I was initially applying under the FSW program, and had to withdraw that application. Will be applying under CEC in March...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
by the way NVTS - I can't respond to your PM because your inbox is too full...