+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying from country of temporary residence

fkitchen06

Jan 17, 2007
Hey!

I am an Indian who has lived in the US for about three years... basically pursuing my graduate studies and such. I am wondering if I can make an application for canadian immigration from the US, if I intend to go back home soon. i hear the wait times are much shorter in the US. Are there likely to be any hiccups from applying here and then moving back?

thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fkitchen06 said:
Hey!

I am an Indian who has lived in the US for about three years... basically pursuing my graduate studies and such. I am wondering if I can make an application for canadian immigration from the US, if I intend to go back home soon. i hear the wait times are much shorter in the US. Are there likely to be any hiccups from applying here and then moving back?

thanks
If you were admitted to the US for 1 year you can apply at Buffalo. But if an interview is required you will have to return to the US, you will need a visitor visa, and remember the US will not usually issue visas to attend an interview. Also if you are accepted, you will have to find a way to get your passport to the US for stamping, as CHC will not mail passports outside Canada/US and it is illegal to mail passport to/from India. Note that your application will probably take longer than what is quoted http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/02a-skilled-fed.html because most of your documents will have to be referred to Delhi for verification.

PMM

arppt01

Jan 22, 2007
Very informative reply from PMM. In that case I think for fkitchen06 it will be better to go back to the country of origin and apply from there, which is in any case logical and natural also.