+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying from abroad

luislatasa89

Aug 12, 2015
Just want to leave my email here (luislatasa89@hotmail.com) in case I can help anybody JUST BY SHARING MY RECENT EXPERIENCE WHILE APPLYING FROM OVERSEAS.... Please do not contact me if this is not your case

After two long years, I have taken the oath as a Canadian Citizen. I submitted the application while in Canada (Vancouver) and experience the rest of the process while being in Europe including a knowledge test interview and citizenship oath and obtaining my very first canadian passport . I know how little information people can find regarding applying while being aborad and how uncertain people feel about the application. If this is your case feel free to reach out :)

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Just want to leave my email here (luislatasa89@hotmail.com) in case I can help anybody JUST BY SHARING MY RECENT EXPERIENCE WHILE APPLYING FROM OVERSEAS.... Please do not contact me if this is not your case

After two long years, I have taken the oath as a Canadian Citizen. I submitted the application while in Canada (Vancouver) and experience the rest of the process while being in Europe including a knowledge test interview and citizenship oath and obtaining my very first canadian passport . I know how little information people can find regarding applying while being aborad and how uncertain people feel about the application. If this is your case feel free to reach out :)
The key thing here is You applied while in Vancouver, Canada before you moved away. Please correct your headline so people do not get false hope and run into and endless wait only for their application to be rejected.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
The key thing here is You applied while in Vancouver, Canada before you moved away. Please correct your headline so people do not get false hope and run into and endless wait only for their application to be rejected.
I was gonna say it. This should be "Leaving after applied".

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016

Hi

Can you please share your experience? I uploaded my online application while being in Vancouver in October 2021, but I took Test in August 2022 from abroad. And now I am still in Europe.

I sent recently my scanned passports copies but don't know what to do next.

On the automatic reply I got they said:
You will NOT receive a response to your enquiry via this email. A decision/response to your request or notification of submission will be added to your file in our system within 5 business days of receipt. At that time, you must contact the Client Support Centre for further information.

But I can't find phone number of Client Support Centre

Can you please share how it was with you

thanks

InfinityCanada

Apr 22, 2022

I faced an interview, was good and nice. However I was told, I need to return to Canada to get an oath Schedule. Still abroad, but for sure will return soon, would be great to get a date before though, as I might need to travel soon again.....Did you get an oath invite while abroad?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Sounds like a click-bait! I am certain you cannot apply for citizenship while abroad, without mis-representation and false information, because there is no way to put an end date to your last absence from Canada without giving a wrong information.

InfinityCanada

Apr 22, 2022
Sounds like a click-bait! I am certain you cannot apply for citizenship while abroad, without mis-representation and false information, because there is no way to put an end date to your last absence from Canada without giving a wrong information.
You are right. My question is not an application and no wrong information. I am at the oath stage and they are not scheduling the oath until returning to Canada. I was wondering if anybody receive an oath invite while being abroad.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
You are right. My question is not an application and no wrong information. I am at the oath stage and they are not scheduling the oath until returning to Canada. I was wondering if anybody receive an oath invite while being abroad.
In all my time on the forum, I've read only two cases of Oath abroad - no one can guarantee that they are genuine cases, so you have to take the information with a pinch of salt. If you search the forum, you will probably find those threads (and others where this has been discussed extensively).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In all my time on the forum, I've read only two cases of Oath abroad - no one can guarantee that they are genuine cases, so you have to take the information with a pinch of salt. If you search the forum, you will probably find those threads (and others where this has been discussed extensively).
Overall: Oath outside Canada sometimes happens, RARELY. But it really is NOT an option for Section 5(1) applicants.

There have been at least two instances in which the oath was administered to individuals abroad reported in mainstream media in recent years, including CBC. This is consistent with statutory provisions, regulations, and other information, which show that the Minister may indeed approve taking the oath outside Canada. This is an exception to the regulation which specifically requires the oath be administered IN Canada, and it requires an application to and approval from the Registrar as a prerequisite to the Minister's approval. Every indication is that this is RARE, as in winning-a-big-lottery (not just any lottery) rare and will only happen in extremely compelling situations.

At least one of these, and as best I can recall it may have been both instances reported in the media, involved an applicant who had traveled to Ukraine just before the war started and they were effectively stuck in Ukraine due to the conflict (the one I recall for sure was an applicant who also had a PR sponsorship application pending for his spouse in the Ukraine). Both had lawyers.

It is almost certain there is no more than a remote chance of getting approval from the Registrar, and at best it is no more than a remote chance even in compelling circumstances. The Minister's approval in many other contexts comes from a "Minister's Delegate," and that requirement (the Minister's approval) alone generally does not indicate an especially high hurdle; BUT it appears very likely that getting the Minister's approval for taking the oath outside Canada either involves a personal decision by the Minister or involves a special level of decision-making by a high level official within the Minister's office.

Generally a PR applying for citizenship should recognize they will need to be IN Canada to take the oath. That's what the applicable regulation mandates. See Citizenship Regulations section 19 to 22 here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-93-246/page-2.html#h-952206

Note: the regulations otherwise provide for administering the oath outside Canada for grants of citizenship pursuant to other provisions (such as a stateless person's application pursuant to Section 5(4) in the Citizenship Act), NOT for Section 5(1) applicants. The CIT 0002 application, or its online equivalent, is a Section 5(1) application, the application made by adult PRs seeking naturalized citizenship. This covers almost ALL applicants (except some applications for minors) participating or discussed in this forum.