+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for WP from within Canada - can I leave while waiting?

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hello,
I applied for a temporary work permit through the Global Skills Strategy. Originally I was supposed to apply from outside Canada (leave for a couple of weeks, apply, come back), but due to the pandemic limitations to travel I was told to apply from inside when this option was available. So I applied within Canada. Since the timeline has long passed the two weeks I was eligible for and is now extended to 6 months, I want to go back to my home country in the EU for some time as I am unemployed until the visa is approved.
If I understand correctly, at the moment only with a valid WP I could come back to Canada, is that correct? (even if I have an apartment here and a visa in process). So I have to wait in my home country until approval?
Once I leave Canada, do I have to change anything in my application?
thanks!

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Updates on this: I talked to immigration, they as always cannot guarantee that I would be allowed back in once approved, but there shouldn't be any problem after receiving the visa letter.

They also said I would just have to change the address in my application, but the person I talked to didn't seem super convinced of what they were saying. Can anyone confirm this? The only thing that would change in the application process if I leave Canada is the address where I receive the paperwork?
Thanks!