+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for work visa at port of entry (NAFTA)/Medical Exam

jenni_usa

Jun 23, 2009
Spouse has a job offer - falls under NAFTA (US Citizen) - I understand that I nee to apply for my work visa at port of entry (British Columbia), but because it is a healthcare job, my spouse is required to obtain a medical exam which I believe needs to be done prior to applying for the work visa at port of entry. Does anyone know if this is really the case or if the medical exam can be done in Canada instead? When we call the two authorized medical doctors here in our state to make an appt, they tell us they need a form from immigration first (this is weird because my spouse would not get the forms/work visa until going the port of entry). Has anyone gone through this??

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jenni_usa said:
Spouse has a job offer - falls under NAFTA (US Citizen) - I understand that I nee to apply for my work visa at port of entry (British Columbia), but because it is a healthcare job, my spouse is required to obtain a medical exam which I believe needs to be done prior to applying for the work visa at port of entry. Does anyone know if this is really the case or if the medical exam can be done in Canada instead? When we call the two authorized medical doctors here in our state to make an appt, they tell us they need a form from immigration first (this is weird because my spouse would not get the forms/work visa until going the port of entry). Has anyone gone through this??
As you need a medical, you will have to apply for work permit through one of the Canadian offices in the US. From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp#occupational

If you do require a medical examination, the visa office will provide you with instructions and a form with your assigned file number before you see a designated medical practitioner.

PMM

jenni_usa

Jun 23, 2009
Okay, thanks so much PMM. For some reason I was under the impression that the medical had to be done prior to applying for a visa. Thanks!