+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for work permit dependent, have previous immigration file!!!!!

ad.lamadrid

Nov 29, 2007
hi all,

I got married last year in UK, I came back to India as my UK visa run out.
my wife still in UK will be applying TWP(Temporary work permit) for Canada and then I will apply as her dependent from India after her success.

The problem is before marriage last year in UK, I filed skilled worker immigration application, which is still under process in UK and active.
Will this immigration file can affect my dependent visa from India as I have heard, I have to prove that I intend to come back after my wife's permit expires. Also currently I am not holding any job here in India. Can these two factors affect my dependent visa case. Please advice, its giving me nightmares.
Shall I withdraw immigration file ?
Thanks in advance

Nitin Aggarwal

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Even if your wife gets her work permit, she can't sponsor you to Canada. You would have to qualify on your own.

So I suggest you don't withdraw your immigration application. Since you don't have a job and you don't have significant ties to India, your TRV is almost certain to be denied.

ad.lamadrid

Nov 29, 2007
thaiguy said:
Even if your wife gets her work permit, she can't sponsor you to Canada. You would have to qualify on your own.

So I suggest you don't withdraw your immigration application. Since you don't have a job and you don't have significant ties to India, your TRV is almost certain to be denied.

hello thaiguy,

you almost scared me now. Is job is the only factor to prove ties ? I have quite a good worth of property here in India. Also we both have traveled as tourist last year to Canada and came back within a week. I studied in UK for 4 years and returned when my visa expired, will these factors be taken as positive into account ?
my wife is a Filipino national and she planned to apply her TVR for work permit from India and adding my name as her spouse in the application, so if interview is required, we both can appear for it together.
However if she would have applied for the same from Canadian Embassy in UK and then adding my name as spouse in her application (while me being in India) , what would have happened if interview required ? or how my passport can be stamped as I m in India ?

Please tell me there is any hope, there is no point my wife going to Canada alone. She don't want to go there alone!!!!
Also as you said that I have to qualify on my own, so would my previous immigration file will affect me to qualify for a spouse visa?

thanks in advance, give me hope!!!!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
A job isn't the only factor, but it's usually pretty important. I'm going to guess that the first time you received a TRV, you were successful because you were going to school in the UK and needed to return to your studies. Now that you're neither studying nor working, it's hard to say whether they'll give you another TRV.

As to your wife getting a work visa, you should understand that she cannot sponsor you. Only a permanent resident or Canadian citizen can sponsor. You would have to qualify for the TRV on your own. See this link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/work-faq06.asp

ad.lamadrid

Nov 29, 2007
thaiguy said:
A job isn't the only factor, but it's usually pretty important. I'm going to guess that the first time you received a TRV, you were successful because you were going to school in the UK and needed to return to your studies. Now that you're neither studying nor working, it's hard to say whether they'll give you another TRV.

As to your wife getting a work visa, you should understand that she cannot sponsor you. Only a permanent resident or Canadian citizen can sponsor. You would have to qualify for the TRV on your own. See this link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/work-faq06.asp
yeah thats true that i was studying that time when i applied for trv in uk.
but if were in a full-time education or job now in india. wouldn't that be stupid of me to leave that and accompany my spouse to canada for an year.
why would i jeopardise my job or education for an yr.
i dnt know but may be u r right as immigration officer might have a critera to follow.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You wouldn't be able to accompany your wife for a year. A TRV is meant for a temporary visit and is limited to 6 months.

If they thought you were going to Canada for more than a visit, they wouldn't approve it.

ad.lamadrid

Nov 29, 2007
thaiguy said:
You wouldn't be able to accompany your wife for a year. A TRV is meant for a temporary visit and is limited to 6 months.

If they thought you were going to Canada for more than a visit, they wouldn't approve it.
what is that open work permit that a spouse can have nowdays? Is it different or a part of TRV ? Is that also issued for only six months ?
thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You can get an open work permit if your wife sponsors you for PR from inside Canada and you receive approval in principle.

But .. you'd have to get to Canada, first.