+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for work permit at the border in Canada

movetocanada5634

Mar 3, 2015
I'm planning to apply for a work permit at the border in Canada after travelling from the US as our passports have valid eTA's. My partner is applying for an LMIA work permit as an essential worker and I will apply for an open work permit and I already have a job offer. My question is, do they make a decision on your work permit and approve or reject it on the spot at the border? Or do they issue you visitor visa's whilst they process the work permit whilst you're in Canada?

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
I'm not sure WP at the POE has resumed. It was suspended due to covid. Since your partner is an essential worker, she might be able to get a WP but I suggest you contact IRCC

movetocanada5634

Mar 3, 2015
It has resumed as long as you're exempt from travel restrictions, so if you show a valid LMIA you will be able to apply. I checked with an immigration lawyer and the work permits are issued on the spot

Reactions: kashy885

henryw271

Jul 11, 2021
It has resumed as long as you're exempt from travel restrictions, so if you show a valid LMIA you will be able to apply. I checked with an immigration lawyer and the work permits are issued on the spot
Where abouts did you find out that they have resumed work permit processing at the port of entry? As I’ve been trying to find out this information for a while but all it says on the immigration website is that you need to enter from the US in order to get a work permit granted at port of entry?

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
Where abouts did you find out that they have resumed work permit processing at the port of entry? As I’ve been trying to find out this information for a while but all it says on the immigration website is that you need to enter from the US in order to get a work permit granted at port of entry?
You have to enter from the US and be a citizen of a visa exempted country.

henryw271

Jul 11, 2021
O
You have to enter from the US and be a citizen of a visa exempted country.
Ok thanks, I have a current ETA for Canada and an LMIA , job offer, job contract and current valid Canadian biometrics so hopefully I should be fine than

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
O

Ok thanks, I have a current ETA for Canada and an LMIA , job offer, job contract and current valid Canadian biometrics so hopefully I should be fine than

Just remember that you need to first enter Canada by Air with your ETA, and only after that you can cross the land border to US from Canada, and return.

guidebortoli

Star Member
Aug 24, 2019
My wife got the LOI for her OWP....She got the approval of her OWP from Brazil, but she came to Canada in the meantime and is now here with with me.

Since her OWP was approved outland we have sent the A11EXAM webform to request the work permit from inside Canada, but tha waiting time is ridiculous...
8 weeks for them to process this...
After waiting for 6 months for the approval of her OWP, now it is 8 weeks more to issue a piece of paper....

Does anybody know if it is ok to go to the border with the LOI and all supporting documents to get the permit?

Niagara border has a U turn before going to the States...so essentially you can go to the CBSA without going to the States first...
Do you think officer will require to flagpole?