Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
Now that my wife is a Canadian citizen, we will apply for her passport on Friday. Section 5 (Documents to Support Identity) of the passport application states that "If you are applying in person, your original documents will be validated and returned to you." I assume this means at a Service Canada or Passport Canada office. How do they validate them in person? Do they scan them? Is there a reason why this cannot be done with her citizenship certificate, as well? We're hesitant to send the original certificate away.

Jim

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Now that my wife is a Canadian citizen, we will apply for her passport on Friday. Section 5 (Documents to Support Identity) of the passport application states that "If you are applying in person, your original documents will be validated and returned to you." I assume this means at a Service Canada or Passport Canada office. How do they validate them in person? Do they scan them? Is there a reason why this cannot be done with her citizenship certificate, as well? We're hesitant to send the original certificate away.

Jim
They will scan on spot and return to you right away if you are going in person. Identity document must have photos and citizenship certificate don't have photo. They need originals in person - Health Card - Driving Licences will work as well.

Good Luck

JimE2013

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-06-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
Thank you, badar14. So, basically, when she applies for her passport in-person, they'll scan her driver's licence and she just needs a guarantor to sign one of her photos and we'll include her original citizenship certificate. That cuts down on a lot of work.

Jim

bucajack

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Additional question: Cab I bring my application and my wifes application to the passport office without my wife having to come with me. Work schedules make it easier for me to go and hand the appliactions in.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Additional question: Cab I bring my application and my wifes application to the passport office without my wife having to come with me. Work schedules make it easier for me to go and hand the appliactions in.
According to the website,

When applying in person, it’s best that you submit your application yourself. However, if this is not possible, a third party can submit the application if they:

• show identification
  • are 16 years of age or older
  • are your
    • parent
    • child
    • parent's spouse or common-law partner
    • child's spouse or common-law partner
    • brother or sister
    • half-brother or half-sister
    • stepbrother or stepsister
    • spouse or common-law partner
    • relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their:
      • parent
      • child
      • parent's spouse or common-law partner
      • child's spouse or common-law partner
      • brother or sister
      • half-brother or half-sister
      • stepbrother or stepsister
In all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information on the application with the third party. If the third party cannot validate your information, we can refuse your application.

The people in the list above may or may not live at the same address as you. In all cases, the person must show identification. If the identification does not prove that the person lives with you, they must also bring a written statement signed by you, authorizing them to submit your passport application.

Any relative living at your address can also submit an application on your behalf if they:

• are 16 years of age or older
  • show identification that confirms where they live
    • if their identification doesn’t have an address, they will need to show other documentation to prove they live at the same address as you
We do not accept urgent or express applications submitted by a third party.

JimE2013

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2013
AOR Received.
24-10-2013
File Transfer...
24-06-2013
Med's Done....
02-04-2013
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
17-03-2014
Here's something interesting that I discovered when my wife and I applied for her passport yesterday. We brought in her original certificate of Canadian citizenship to the Service Canada office thinking they would send it away, but they simply looked at it, photocopied it and verified it before returning it to us. We were worried about it being sent away and getting lost, so the way Service Canada did it worked out well.

Jim

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Here's something interesting that I discovered when my wife and I applied for her passport yesterday. We brought in her original certificate of Canadian citizenship to the Service Canada office thinking they would send it away, but they simply looked at it, photocopied it and verified it before returning it to us. We were worried about it being sent away and getting lost, so the way Service Canada did it worked out well.

Jim
That's one of the advantages of applying for passport in person vs mailing. If you mail your application, you have to send the original certificate of citizenship away.