+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for visitor visa and getting married in Canada?

jcurtsy

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
I am a Canadian citizen. My fiancee is in India, who is having a job there.
We are planning to get married in Canada (Also considering marriage in India). We don't want to stay separated and hence we are looking for the fastest way to live together.

1) If I am assuming correctly, getting married in India means that I am leaving my spouse back there for another 12 or 15 months for PR processing. . Is there any way to get the spouse here sooner?

2) What is your opinion of this route?
i.e. Fiancee applies for a visiting visa> Reach Canada >get married in Canada >Apply for spousal PR> Then apply for open work permit, while PR is in processing. Is this route having any potential issues (other than spouse staying without income until work permit gets approved?)

3) What are the chances of visiting visa denial? Applicant is 35 year old and is working in India. (Will the visa application require a letter from the employer? The employer may be unwilling to give it! )

4) Is the intention of marriage (proof - marriage invitation card) a valid eligibility criteria for a TRV (temporary visa) OR mentioning this intention itself will become a "valid reason" for visa refusal?

5) What are the chances of open work permit application denial in this situation? If work permit is denied, and six months of visitor stay is over, will my spouse have to go back to India? What to do in this scenario?

5)If you have any other suggestions in our situation, please let me know.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Canadian citizen. My fiancee is in India, who is having a job there.
We are planning to get married in Canada (Also considering marriage in India). We don't want to stay separated and hence we are looking for the fastest way to live together.

1) If I am assuming correctly, getting married in India means that I am leaving my spouse back there for another 12 or 15 months for PR processing. . Is there any way to get the spouse here sooner?

2) What is your opinion of this route?
i.e. Fiancee applies for a visiting visa> Reach Canada >get married in Canada >Apply for spousal PR> Then apply for open work permit, while PR is in processing. Is this route having any potential issues (other than spouse staying without income until work permit gets approved?)

3) What are the chances of visiting visa denial? Applicant is 35 year old and is working in India. (Will the visa application require a letter from the employer? The employer may be unwilling to give it! )

4) Is the intention of marriage (proof - marriage invitation card) a valid eligibility criteria for a TRV (temporary visa) OR mentioning this intention itself will become a "valid reason" for visa refusal?

5) What are the chances of open work permit application denial in this situation? If work permit is denied, and six months of visitor stay is over, will my spouse have to go back to India? What to do in this scenario?

5)If you have any other suggestions in our situation, please let me know.
Thanks
1. Likely less than 12 months. She could try for a TRV but is not likely to be approved.

2. It is possible but you would need to make sure you follow the traditional marriage rites of your country. A court marriage is out of the norm and could lead to issues.

3. No one can give you probabilities.

4. Reason for refusal.

5. If she is able to come here and apply inland, chances of the OWP being refused are next to nil. It could be returned if she doesn't pay the correct fees or doesn't have status when she applies.